Corsair Community

CMX1024-3200C2PT "became bad"

Hi,

I have 2x CMX1024-3200C2PT (bought from one package) for dual-ddr activity in an Athlon 3700+. After initially building the system, all was well for about two weeks. Suddenly, while listening to music (something I do alot), the computer randomly rebooted, and began emitting long beeps in succession.

I turned the computer off, unplugged the power, and waited several minutes. I then tried turning it back on, and the same beeps ensued. The computer was not posting and no activity could be seen on the monitor.

I looked up my motherboard's beep codes in the manual, and long beeps were stated to usually be "DRAM ISSUES." So, I removed one stick of ram (for the sake of reference, I'll refer to it as Stick A), and set it aside. I tried booting again, and the same beeps occured.

To experiment, I then took out Stick B and booted the computer with no ram. The same beeps occured.

I then put Stick A and B back into the computer (a little illogical, but it was late at night) and attempted to boot yet again. This time, the computer posted but would not enter windows at all (would reboot as soon as the Windows loading screen appeared). Fearing corruption, I turned off the computer again.

This time, I took Stick B out and put Stick A in. This time, the computer booted flawlessly and without issue and ran just as rock stable as before. That was over a week ago, and everything has been fine with the computer. I do, however, miss having 2 gigabytes of RAM.

I'm fairly certain that Stick B has some issue, or developed one, and I'd like to request an RMA provided that is indeed the problem. I imagine I'd have to send in both sticks (since they were cut from the same process, and are a twin pair, optimized for dual DDR), and this is fine as I have some backup RAM somewhere for temporary operation.

I've always used Corsair RAM, and this is the first problem I've run across. I am confident that this is simply an isolated issue.

Thank you!

P.S. The RAM label says:

CMX1024-3200C2PT

XMS3200

1024MB

400MHz

XMSS2302v2.2

0605152-3

CL2

P.P.S. I am not running overclocked or at a higher FSB, everything is completely default.

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS3200C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS3200C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Hello,

Apologies for the delay, but I've been quite busy with school.

I went ahead and did what you directed, and essentially received the same situation described in my overall post. In addition, why would the module work well for a period of time before suddenly deciding to "mess up?" I have continued to run with the "good" stick without problems.

I am fairly sure it is not the fault of the motherboard (as far as dual channel and the like goes) as the "bad" stick of RAM is bad either in conjunction with the "good" stick or by itself, in either RAM slot.

Thanks.

Archived