Corsair Community

Thank you very much corsair... NOT!!!

Well now i can only say im mad. I had a set of Twin2x pc6400pro memory sticks from corsair RMA'd as one of the dammed sticks LED's decided it was time to stop working despite never being overclocked or overvolted. So i sent the sticks back 3 weeks ago using the fastest service possible. It arrived with Corsair before the 6/6/06 according to the tracking and yet when i heard no news from Corsair i sent and email enquiring about the RMA... guess what the same day i send the email i get a reply saying yes we have recieved your RAM today (6/6/06)... but hold on the tracking said it arrived 2 days before so what is that about??

Secondly we all know this product that is to be sent back is an RMA so anyone with a clue in life knows not to give the return packaging a hi commercial value as here in the UK they have a thing called import tax that SHOULD only apply to purchases from abroad. However this is not a purchase so a value on the package is pointless and just down right stupid.

But as time has went on i waited 3 weeks in good faith and loan behold my memory has turned up today... only not in my possesion. Its with the dammed post office and iv got a card saying i need to pay £15 tax on somthing thats not even been bought from the US. Now id usually pay this fee, however being that iv had to wait 3 weeks, pay for the most prompt shipping to the US and been told lies about the date of arrival for the memory, im simply not going to do so. This is beyond belief and my emails sent to corsair stateing what happens when an item is givin a large value that is sent from the US to the UK gets taxed, where all ignored.

Come on Corsair what the hell is in those employee heads?

sorry if i sound really rude or nasty, but i really am annoyed, this memory was not cheap and a part of that price goes towards warrenty... in fact a large part of it and if that is the service that comes with that price, id suggest CORSAIR drop their warrenties and their prices and stop milking the market. :mad:

• Corsair Employees
First thing I am very sorry for the inconvenience and what looks to be some mistake. I will ask customer service to look into the case ASAP and see if there is anything that can be done. But can you send me an email with a copy of this post and or link and your RMA# to ramguy@corsairmemory.com and please put ATT: Ram Guy in the subject line.

all is sorted i managed to convince a friend who works at the post office to drop the tax on the parcel ( :D: ). So in the end iv got the ram and all is sorted. Im just relieved everything is sorted so all i can say my temper has vanshed in a cloud of smoke and i wont bother kicking up a fuss :roll:

OK i think there is a problem with the new ram iv recieved :confused:

I would just like to clear the question, what end of the market is the XMS2 PC6400 PRO modules targeted at?

From the last time i checked back when they where first released and where reviewd they where aimed at the high end, for overclocking enthusiats? This seems to have changed in the latest version of the sticks. Iv been a proud owner of some v1.3 of these same modules only it was a 1Gb stick which i later sold on. They where overclocking beyond anything id ever seen, and @ DDR2 700Mhz speeds had timmings of 3-2-2-8-1T with 2.0V. The second set (V1.4's) in which i sent back for RMA where not as good but almost and reached 3-3-3-8-1T @ DDR2 700Mhz speeds. both of them @ DDR2 800Mhz reached 4-3-3-8 1T 2.1V... now dont get me wrong that is fantastic for overclocking and worth the hefty price tag.

However these new modules which i have recieved only as a result of the LED's being faulty on my last ones are to say the least CRAP. They truly are. I waited all this time to recieve WORSE modules. WHY? why has the overclocking potential gone. That is why they had the VERY VERY HIGH PRICE IS IT NOT (specially when compared to other brands with lower rated timmings) ???

Ill give my latest results with the same motherboard and to say the least i am not happy at all with these modules and i frankly want my money back, however as its taken so long to get the modules i cant get a refund. :greencry:

Latest results :

XMS2 V3.1 (iv went from 1.3 to 3.1 :eek: )

clock PC 5400 speed = 667 4-4-4-12-1T @ 2.2V :(: very very very poor compared to what i sent back... not fair and at all, and a scam to me (it wont look good for corsair if i was to write a review on these, specially compared to the older cherry picked modules from past reviews, which are all old)

clock PC 6400 speed = 800 5-5-5-12-1T @ 1.9 V and overlcoked only 900 Mhz with 5-5-5-15-1T @ 2.2V again poor!

What should i do about this ? should i just sell these on and get another brand, after writing a review as im frankly feeling very sick right now or do i wait another month to get a replacement from corsair OR do i fight with the retailer to get my money back :[pouts:

Iv always had faith in Corsairs memory and now that has changed majorly.

I dont believe in luck when it comes to this memory and good overclocking due to me being the owner of now 2 different sets of PC 6400 PRO's and previous PC 5400 Pro sets and as of previous they all overclocked fantastically, the PC 5400 PRO sets where bought on first release over a year back and they overclocked to 900 Mhz, and that was amazing to gain on a 925XE Fatal1ty board. Now however with the release of the likes of PC 8000 and PC 6400 C4 on the books for Corsair, its seems to me that Corsair have been looking into some reviews and found that their modules can do better than they'd originally thought, so as times went on they've been speed binning chips and are going to change the RRP price of the older enthusiast modules ie the PRO sticks. All in order to get people to pay a higher premium for somthing that is not new at all and has been found in the past. It was the same with the PC 5400 PRO's, when they where discovered to run at 900MHz with 5-5-5-2T @ 2.1V suddenly came PC 6400 but without the PRO on it. And im guessing that will explain why we have moved from V1.1 modules all the way to V3.1, it shows the binning process and the loss of care for the PRO tag untill the PC 8000 PRO's are released.

i might not be any older than 18, however as my dad has worked in the computer industry for years as a marketing engineer, iv learned a lot and Corsairs latest strategy is very obvious and not one to win the hearts of its loyal DDR2 purchaser's who suddenly find they need an RMA.

** disclaimer** No, I don't work for Corsair ** disclaimer**

You do realize that Corsair guarantees the specs that they sell them at and not how much you can or cannot overclock? If you are wanting / expecting / demanding them to be faster, then you simply should have bought memory that is guaranteed at faster speeds, e.g. 8500s.

Also, the version number isn't directly related to the ICs used, nor when they were made.

No i think when you pay that much for "platinum" branded type memory which cost me almost as much as 8500's, a few weeks before their release announcment then overclocking should be on the cards, especially if when they where bought overclocking was found in all reviews to be very good and in both my purhcase cases.

This is in other words a way of false advertising by giving reviewers back when they first came out sticks that where good, and later on after a few discoveries of performance pretending, the preimum quality image of the sticks is maintained by keeping high prices for something that has actually been binned many a time.

AND I dont recall reading a disclaimer saying that "in a few months time if your unfortunate to have the LED's die on one of your sticks we will replace our older before PC 8000 was discoverd sticks with these heavily binned pieces of junk!"

Another thing id like to add is... if i wanted poor overclocking i would have bought the value select range.

1) Platinum is a COLOR, not a grade of memory. Other manufacturers may do that, Corsair doesn't.

2) Corsair recommends reviewers buy their memory from retailers. Yes, they will supply them if asked, but they prefer reviewers get them from retailers to ensure people can't say they're affecting the review in any way.

3) DO THEY DO WHAT THEY ARE RATED AT?

• 2 weeks later...

Were these sticks dearer than bog standard ?

Do they run faster than bog standard ?

Did you pay a premium over the other corsair offerings ?

If so you would expect them to perform better than the cheaper alternatives.

I think this lad is upset over his overall experience and the fact that the ram he sent back when it was working was fantastic, now it's supposed to have been replaced with the same type of memory and he finds its actually far worse than he was getting from the first mem sticks he had, I would also be very upset at this.

If a company sells better spec ram and at a premium, (i would have thought the title platinum referred to performance rather than colour also, as pro tag would also indicate something better than regular,basic,entry level)and pulls in more buyers because of this and gains kudos over the performance, seems a shame to then let that kudos slip over a revision of the memory which is clearly in his case far inferior performing, therefore he, I would assume has every right to express his opinion and share his benchmarks to prove that something is not quite right.

Were these sticks dearer than bog standard ?

Do they run faster than bog standard ?

Did you pay a premium over the other corsair offerings ?

If so you would expect them to perform better than the cheaper alternatives.

I think this lad is upset over his overall experience and the fact that the ram he sent back when it was working was fantastic, now it's supposed to have been replaced with the same type of memory and he finds its actually far worse than he was getting from the first mem sticks he had, I would also be very upset at this.

If a company sells better spec ram and at a premium, (i would have thought the title platinum referred to performance rather than colour also, as pro tag would also indicate something better than regular,basic,entry level)and pulls in more buyers because of this and gains kudos over the performance, seems a shame to then let that kudos slip over a revision of the memory which is clearly in his case far inferior performing, therefore he, I would assume has every right to express his opinion and share his benchmarks to prove that something is not quite right.

What's bog?

As for memory performing above rated specs, I already covered that on a previous post in this thread.

As for assumptions based on "platinum" or "PRO", that's not Corsair's fault, as Corsair's website clearly states what the differences are. It's also posted in the FAQ section here:

What does C2, LL, PT, R or RE stand for in the part#?

LOL

bog has a couple of slang meanings in UK

bog-toilet (john)

bog standard means basic.

PT = Platinum Heat Spreader - Would that not mean i could return them to corsair and sue the company for false advertising, after taking the Platinum Heat Spreaders to a jewellers for a valuation, for him to tell me its nickel alloy or aluminium? :laughing:

PT = Platinum Heat Spreader - Would that not mean i could return them to corsair and sue the company for false advertising, after taking the Platinum Heat Spreaders to a jewellers for a valuation, for him to tell me its nickel alloy or aluminium? :laughing:

Noooooo....... Platinum is also a color.

No i think when you pay that much for "platinum" branded type memory

when sentineluk posted this i think he was referring to his PRO memory anyways and platinum is not in product code, i think he meant when you buy premium memory as in Pro.

Archived