Corsair Community

GigaByte K8NS and timing problems

mabian

Hello,

maybe this one is an old issue, but there's something more I would like to know:

I've been running for about 2 years a GA k8ns based system with Athlon64 3.2GHz and two VS512MB400C3 (512MB) modules, recognized by CPU-z as Xerox brand.

After some bios updates I was able to run steadily DDR RAM at 200MHz - last BIOS, F19, even recognized and set automatically the correct RAM speed.

Now I bought an additional VS1GB400C3 and found out that:

- The BIOS now configures RAM speed @166MHz (actually CPU-Z reports 157.9 MHz), and, keeping this settings, the system is rock solid, albeit slower of course

- Forcing RAM timing to 200MHz (CPU-z reports about 201 MHz) apps crash with no repeatable pattern in a matter of minutes - that is the system becomes unreliable.

This still happens also tweaking parameters to 3-4-4-8 and RAM voltage to +.2 in BIOS.

- Previous BIOS; F18, even does not allow 200MHz; it allows configuring them but then actually the RAM runs at 157.9 MHz, again according to CPU-z.

So the main questions are:

1) is there a way to use these three memory modules together at 200MHz with stable system?

2) If not, if I substitute the two 512MB sticks with another VS1GB400C3 will I get a 2GB RAM @200Mhz stable system?

Thanx and bye

• Corsair Employees

1) is there a way to use these three memory modules together at 200MHz with stable system?

A: No I am sorry this is a limitation of the memory controller in the CPU, if you installed more than one double sided module in a socket 754 AMD system DDR333/200 is suggested, or if you install more that 2 double sided modules in a socket 939 AMD 64 system DDR333 would be suggested.

2) If not, if I substitute the two 512MB sticks with another VS1GB400C3 will I get a 2GB RAM @200Mhz stable system?

A: I would suggest replacing your module with two 1.0 Gig modules that are exactly matched for best performance.

A: I would suggest replacing your module with two 1.0 Gig modules that are exactly matched for best performance.

To fully understand, now I have two old 512MB modules and a brand new 1GB VS1GB400C3 module.

Should it be allright if I buy another VS1GB400C3 and drop both the 512MB modules?

Or is it possible that two VS1GB400C3 modules do not have exact specs so

there's risk to have two VS1GB400C3 modules (bought at different places) not perfectly matched?

Thanx

Mario

Archived