Corsair Community

bad chip in notebook

I have a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop. It came with 256mb memory already installed (installed directly to mobo, not in a dimm). There's one user accessible DIMM for upgrading the memory. I bought a 1GB stick (model VS1GSDS333) from newegg.com back in January. Everything worked great for about 5 months. Last week, my laptop started going haywire. Whenever I would boot the OS, I would get a message saying that Windows XP could not validate the registration number or something to that effect. The touchpad wasn't working right, and the computer would crash after no more than 2 minutes after booting everytime. I tried putting in a clean HDD and imaged from a known good image of the OS taken over a month ago, with no luck. Tried reloading manually, no luck. I then pulled the 1GB stick of ram out of the laptop, and everything seemed okay. I put the original HDD back in with the original install of the OS, no problems. I reinserted the memory, and the exact same problems came back. Took the memory back out, and all of the problems went away. I think it's safe to say the memory went bad. Since it's 5 months since I bought it, I'm out of newegg's return period. I'd like to get an RMA, but I guess I need to post here first. Do I need to provide any more information?

I can't try the laptop with just your memory...the 256mb that came with the laptop is hardwired onto the mobo, it's not accessible or removable. It came with one empty DIMM to upgrade the laptop. I can't do the memtest either, because I can't get the computer to boot up and stay up for more than a second or two without crashing with the additional memory installed in order to conduct such a test. The laptop worked fine with the memory installed for over 4 months of regular use. It only recently developed these symptoms. It works fine without the memory installed. Is there anything else I should try before I submit an RMA request?

I can understand wanting to ensure people have bad stuff before you go through the trouble of working RMAs...but I find this to be a little ridiculous. I've RMAd a chip from transcend with much less trouble before. The fact that the chip worked for 4 months with no problems should tell you there's no combatibility problem. The fact that the computer works fine now without it but it no longer will work worth a crap with it in should tell you all you need to know. Fault isolation, it's not all that hard. I don't think I should have to go through the trouble of dissecting my laptop in order to help perform troubleshooting when the fault is already isolated. That's pretty poor customer service if you ask me, and if I'm forced to do it to complete this RMA, I will never purchase anything from corsair again.

The VS1GSDS333 IS NOT listed for the Dell Inspiron 700m!

Corsair Modules listed for the Dell Inspiron 700m

YES, IT IS. after selecting my model number, then going down to DDR333 (PC2700) SODIMM, it lists the following three models under the 700m: VS1GSDS333, VS512SDS333, and VS256SDS333.

Again, you guys are supposed to be the experts, but here's the facts:

It worked for 4 months, now it won't work at all with it in. All I have to do to make it work is take the one stick out. Nothing else.

If my memory doesn't work with the Inspiron 700m, then why was there even an option for the stick type that gave positive results of compatibility? Why was it working fine for 4 months before it crapped out?

• Corsair Employees

I don’t know where you are getting that information but on our memory configurator we only suggest CMSS parts for this system.

CMSS1GB-333SOD 1GB

CMSS512MB-333SOD 512MB

CMSS256MB-333SOD 256MB

The Value Select and System Select modules are functionally the same. CMSS parts are built with a restricted bill of materials deemed to provide the best compatibility with OEM systems. As such, we often do not have the capability to use low cost material.

I expect that the VS part will work correctly in your system. And, of course, Corsair's lifetime warranty is in full effect if it does not. Our confidence of first pass success is highest, however, with CMSS parts.

However, I would not suggest using Value Select if you will be adding to the modules that came with your system. But I would not suggest mixing our Value Select modules with the memory that came with your system for best performance and stability.

You are welcome to send the module in and have it replaced it may or may not solve the problem, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

I don’t know where you are getting that information but on our memory configurator we only suggest CMSS parts for this system.

CMSS1GB-333SOD 1GB

CMSS512MB-333SOD 512MB

CMSS256MB-333SOD 256MB

I am getting it from your memory configurator...the link you keep posting over and over like I didn't see it the first time. Go to the memory configurator, choose laptops, dell, inspiron 700m. Then, down below, choose the sodimm option, and you'll get the options I listed above.

I don't know why I keep getting responses about whether or not it's compatible, etc...if it weren't, it wouldn't have worked fine for 4 months. I think we're a little past that. I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall...

YES, IT IS. after selecting my model number, then going down to DDR333 (PC2700) SODIMM, it lists the following three models under the 700m: VS1GSDS333, VS512SDS333, and VS256SDS333.

Sorry, but you're doing two completely different things there. The top box is a completely different search than the bottom box:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/attachment.php?attachmentid=1985&stc=1&d=1150314936

See the two GO buttons? They're for different searches. The top box (that states Search by Motherboard or System model) will look at the top criteria, namely a Dell Inspiron 700m. The bottom box (that states Search by Corsair Module Type) looks only at the bottom criteria, namely DDR333 SODIMMs. Dunno why CMSS sticks aren't there, but I'm guessing it's because they're geared towards OEM systems, as Ram Guy stated above.

config.JPG.07f1296ef0349ea635047beef3490f1f.JPG

• Corsair Employees
I think you may miss-understand the search, if you click bellow where it says search by Module Type then that will give u a list of modules that meet the search criteria, not that are what you selected above. They are two separate searches

• 2 weeks later...

How many times must I submit an RMA request before I get someone to answer me? Your website claims that someone will get back to me within 24 hours, usually sooner.

Actions speak louder than words, and you guys are all talk. I'm attempting to submit an RMA request again. Failure to respond to me again and I'll put the theory that actions speak louder than words to the test.

• Corsair Employees

Please either call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" or follow the link in my signature "If you have submitted the RMA using the on line form and have not got a reply!"

Our Customer Service hours are from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

And you will need to go thru your reseller as we will not be able to chnage part numbers in an RMA!

Please either call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" or follow the link in my signature "If you have submitted the RMA using the on line form and have not got a reply!"

Our Customer Service hours are from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

And you will need to go thru your reseller as we will not be able to chnage part numbers in an RMA!

I am not going through my reseller, as I am not changing part numbers. I am buying another stick from another company, then when I get this one replaced, I am selling it on ebay, as I want nothing to do with Corsair any more, thanks to this ridiculous board full of people who do not understand when a fault has been isolated and identified and insist on wasting customers time.

Dude, your RMA was already approved, but your email is proably being blocked by their spam filters, so they're asking you to call in.

They're talking about swapping parts because Corsair hasn't stated that the VS stick is compatible w/ your OEM memory, nor your OEM laptop. Doesn't matter if it was working for months, they just can't guarantee the compatiblity, and as such, recommended you get a part that they do guarantee compatibility with. This will prevent possible isues in the future. If you want to get an identical part, they'll do it w/ no problem, but it's not what they recommend.

If you do eBay the memory, CLEARLY state Corsair's warranty, that it will have no warranty because it was bought from an end user.

Dude, your RMA was already approved, but your email is proably being blocked by their spam filters, so they're asking you to call in.

They're talking about swapping parts because Corsair hasn't stated that the VS stick is compatible w/ your OEM memory, nor your OEM laptop. Doesn't matter if it was working for months, they just can't guarantee the compatiblity, and as such, recommended you get a part that they do guarantee compatibility with. This will prevent possible isues in the future. If you want to get an identical part, they'll do it w/ no problem, but it's not what they recommend.

If you do eBay the memory, CLEARLY state Corsair's warranty, that it will have no warranty because it was bought from an end user.

I finally got a response, no it wasn't my spam filters. They just failed to respond the first few times.

As far as the eBay thing, I don't care. I didn't buy it from eBay, I bought it from newegg. Once I get the replacement via warranty, I'm selling it on eBay. The next guy won't have a warranty, but that doesn't affect me. I again find myself feeling like I'm talking to a brick wall.

Archived