Corsair Community

4GB Flash Voyager - Computers Do Not See Secure Partition

marcbkk

I have a 4GB USB Flash Voyager thumb drive. The drive is working great and I have installed the security software to password protect access to my drive in case I lose it.

The problem is that unless I have the Corsair Flash Voyager Utility software installed onto the computer I am using to access the drive, then I am not able to access the password protected partition on the drive.

Basically, if I put the drive into a machine that does not have the software installed, then the window asking me to put in my password to access the password protected partition does not come up.

It is OK when I am using the drive at home or at the office where I have already installed the software on both of the PCs, but if I try to use the drive when I am on the road with a computer that does not have the software installed, then I am not able to access any of my files on the drive. A major problem to say the least.

If anyone knows what can be done to fix this problem so that I can access the password protected area on the drive when using it with any computer that does not have the Corsair Flash Voyager Utility software installed I would appreciate your input.

Thank you.

Best wishes,

marc

Thank you.

I have actually been doing that, but the question is if the software installer is on the drive itself, does it hinder the security of the drive if the drive were to be lost and someone were to recover the drive with the software on the unsecure partition? It would not allow people to access the secured partition any easier, it just would allow them to reformat the drive I guess?

The problem though is sometimes when you want to use the drive on a public computer that you may not be able to install the software on it. Sometimes computers block you from installing software and in which case you would not have a solution to access your drive at that time.

I used to use an A-Bit drive which had similar software and was completely stand alone whereby it did not require installation of the drive security software in order to access.

I am wondering if there are any after-market software packages designed to do the same thing which would offer a better solution?

Thank you RAM Guy. I just received an e-mail from Tech Support Express at Corsair and they said this:

"Corsair Technical Support Responds: That is correct you will need the security software installed on each machine that needs access to the secured partition. The only option is to copy the installation program on the drive and install the security software as you go."

So this confirms it as well.

Thank you.

Archived