Corsair Community

Twinx2048-3200 Vs. Twinx2048-3200c2

justinj6

I am planning on upgrading to 2 GB of memory. I am looking at TWINX2048-3200 AND TWINX2048-3200c2. Are they compatable with my Shuttle (see signiture)? Didn't see them on the compatability list. I see the c2 has faster timings. Does this really make much difference? Especially since the the price of the TwinX2048-3200 is $118 with rebate from Newegg while the c2 is $152 with rebate.

Any insight and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Justin

That shuttle appears to have a Shuttle FN95 board running an Nvidia nForce3 250 Ultra chipset. I've never owned an NF3 board, but I have an NF2 that runs fine with 2x 3200LLPT 512's (2-2-2-6 timings). Biggest thing to check would be if that board has any problems with a memory module of a certain physical layout (i.e. won't support having individual chips over a certain size, can't have a certain number of chips on a side, etc). If it all looks ok there, I'd think it'll work just fine.

In regards to the CAS2 versus CAS3 modules, YMMV, but I think the difference would result in a couple hundred MB/s extra on memory bandwidth benchmarks like SoftSandra. That has to end up equating to extra performance elsewhere too.

Either way, the lower latency modules should be a higher quality chip to support the lower latency, and for $34, I'd go for it.

Archived