Corsair Community

VNF4U unable to boot after memory upgrade

erikkay

I have a Chaintech VNF4U mobo with an AMD64 3000+ and 1GB (2x512MB) of RAM. I wanted to upgrade to 2GB of RAM, so I bought 2x1GB Corsair 3200C2PT (which appears to be supported based on the compatibility list on this site). I enabled full memory test at boot, installed the new RAM and booted up. The BIOS recognizes the RAM, seems to get the timing correct, does the memory test without errors and then proceeds onto the boot. The boot hangs at the "verifying dmi pool data" step. If I switch back to the old RAM, it boots fine. The RAM is installed in the first two memory slots (the VNF4U uses the first two slots to do dual channel rather than the 1,3 slots like some other vendors).

The bit of research I've done seems to indicate that this hang is usually an IDE error of some sort (bad cable, bad drive, etc.), but as I indicated before, it only seems to be dependant on the RAM I've installed. I'd be inclined to just return the RAM to NewEgg and get replacements, but given that the memory test passes, it seems like it could be something else.

A few more notes:

- I've made sure I'm running the latest BIOS

- I've installed the latest NForce drivers (although to be honest, I'm not sure if the DMI message indicates that I'm into Windows' boot sequence or not yet, so unclear if this would matter)

- I'm using the NForce RAID in RAID0 on two 250GB drives

- I'm running stock CMOS config - no overclocking here

Any ideas? Things I should look for?

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived