Corsair Community

different revisions

GunmanX

I have this same issue. I have an Abit IS7 with the latest bios. About a year ago, I purchased two matched CMX512-3200C2PT modules and they have been working great in banks 1 & 3 on my MB. I wanted to upgrade to 2GB so, I went to newegg and purchased the same type of memory. When I got the package in, I noticed that the revision was different. Anyhow, I placed the new modules in slots 2 and 4 and cranked up memtest. Memtest worked fine for about 30 minutes and then started reporting errors. I moved the new memory to banks 1 & 3 and the old memory to 2 and 4, but got the same results after 30 minutes. I tried setting my voltage from 2.6 volts to 2.7 volts and messed around with my speed settings. I tried the following speed configurations and still got errors in memtest.

spd @ 2.6 volts

2-3-3-6 @ 2.6 volts

2.5-3-3-6 @ 2.6 volts

spd @ 2.7 volts

2-3-3-6 @ 2.7 volts

2.5-3-3-6 @ 2.7 volts

I have yet to try the spd setting and 2.8 volts, but I am betting this will result in the same errors. However, I know that the ram is good if it is not mixed because it works when I only populate two dimm slots with both the new and old memory. It seems that it is the combo, populating all four dimm slots that is killing me. I may report this issue to maximum pc mag because I feel that the vendor should be more "up front" about the incompatibility of the revisions of the same model of ram. I was just trying to goto 2GB and thought that I made a smart decision by getting the same model #, but would not have gotten into this mess if I would have done my homework on the revision issue.

They aren't rated at those timings when running more than two sticks. Definitely try 2.8 volts, try 3-4-4-8 (2T) to start off with.

What CPU / FSB / motherboard do you have?

I have this same issue. I have an Abit IS7 with the latest bios. About a year ago, I purchased two matched CMX512-3200C2PT modules and they have been working great in banks 1 & 3 on my MB. I wanted to upgrade to 2GB so, I went to newegg and purchased the same type of memory. When I got the package in, I noticed that the revision was different. Anyhow, I placed the new modules in slots 2 and 4 and cranked up memtest. Memtest worked fine for about 30 minutes and then started reporting errors. I moved the new memory to banks 1 & 3 and the old memory to 2 and 4, but got the same results after 30 minutes. I tried setting my voltage from 2.6 volts to 2.7 volts and messed around with my speed settings. I tried the following speed configurations and still got errors in memtest.

spd @ 2.6 volts

2-3-3-6 @ 2.6 volts

2.5-3-3-6 @ 2.6 volts

spd @ 2.7 volts

2-3-3-6 @ 2.7 volts

2.5-3-3-6 @ 2.7 volts

I have yet to try the spd setting and 2.8 volts, but I am betting this will result in the same errors. However, I know that the ram is good if it is not mixed because it works when I only populate two dimm slots with both the new and old memory. It seems that it is the combo, populating all four dimm slots that is killing me. I may report this issue to maximum pc mag because I feel that the vendor should be more "up front" about the incompatibility of the revisions of the same model of ram. I was just trying to goto 2GB and thought that I made a smart decision by getting the same model #, but would not have gotten into this mess if I would have done my homework on the revision issue.

Archived