Corsair Community

Epox 9NPA+ Ultra - Adding more memory

TheTruth

Hi,

I currently have 1gb of Corsair xms (CORSAIR TWINX1024-3200C2 2X64X64 400MHZ 2X512MB (MATCHED PAIR) CL2 DDR DIMM W/HEAT SPREADER) running at auto settings in bios. Newegg had a good deal on some memory, 2gb (matched pair)CORSAIR Twinx2048-3200c2pt , so I pulled the trigger. The memory is the same except one has the platinum heat spreader. Got the memory, installed the two 1gb sticks in dimm slots 1&2 and the older 2 512 sticks in slots 3&4. Booted up, and windows and the bios only recognized the memory in slots 3&4 (so a total of only 1gb). I took the old 512 sticks out and booted up, and windows and the bios then recognized my new memory at 2gb and I am running fine.

Are the old 512 sticks single sided and thus I can't use them along with the new double sided memory? Is there any way at all to get them to work together?

• Corsair Employees
I would not suggest mixing memory with any system for best performance, not to mention, some MB's may not even post unless the modules are exactly matched. I would just use the new Twinx2048 set of modules for best performance and stability!

Thanks for the reply. While I got you here, my new memory should run at 1T correct? I think my bios settings are currently at Auto 2T. Should I be OK to change it to 1T?

Your not suppose to mix memory? This is the first I have heard of this. I am by no means a memory guy but you used to could add a gig to your 256 or 512. Things have changed huh?

• Corsair Employees

Command Rate is not really a memory setting and would be dependant on the make and model of MB and PSU and the specific CPU you have installed. You might look this setting up on http://www.rojakpot.com and get a better explanation.

You will just need to test the system with it set at 1t but test with http://www.memtest.org to make sure its stable.

Archived