Corsair Community

overclock & memory crashes system

My stuff:

ASUSA8N32SLI Deluxe

AMD 4000+ San Diego

TWINX2048-3200C2PRO

XP pro

I am using the ASUS AINOS and have stabily overclocked from 2.4 to 2.64.

I changed the default memory settings of 3338 to 2336 at 2.75 volts.

System crashes as I leave the bios and enter the windows startup screen.

When I return the memory back to the defaults, the system runs fine.

Do I have to stay with the ASUS defaults? Does it hinder performance either way?

Don't use auto overclocking programs... set them manually. Did ASUS AINOS adjust your Mem/FSB ratio? Your FSB is running at 220Mhz. If you do not lower your ratioor loosen your timings, you may have memory problems.

Make sure you know how to overclock and understand the relationship between the values. Also, make sure you run some benchmarks and stablility tests. A normal OC would probably be what I list below, but set at your own risk. I am unfamilar with overclock-ability of Sandy's.

FSB: 240

CPU Multipler: 12x

Mem/FSB Ratio: 5/6

HT Multipler: 3x

RAM Voltage: 2.8v

This will allow your memory to run at stock speeds. Running at 3-3-3-8 is probably at most 3-6% slower than 2-3-3-6. However, if you are running it looser at 220MHz then the difference is almost negliable. Just run benchmarks before and after the OC to compare.

Thanks for the info. Any good sources on how to properly overclock. I'm looking for an "Overclocking for Dummies" type report. I just recently built my computer and this stuff has tweaked my interest (being an engineer). Aso, looking for good resources on how this stuff works. The Corsair slide show was a good start.

Just google "Overclocking" and start reading! There's a lot of material and not all guides cover the finer points. Once you have all the basics down, join some forums to ask questions. Generally... push, test, push, test, crash!

Archived