Corsair Community

VS 2GB kit pc5300 DDR2 and MSI K9N Neo?

Olof

Well, in an itch to get a new system I got an MSI K9N Neo and figured I'd throw 2 GB at it, and the Value Select PC5300 DDR2 sounded like a good deal (I'm not looking to overclock or get wild performance on this system, stability is the most desired factor, the system is mostly a virtualization testbed).

However, it's not working out that well. At the motherboard default setting 1.8V, memtest86 generates about 50000 errors on test5, and goes on to generate more later. Looking around on Corsairs site, and at MSI, I noted the suggestions to increase voltage up to 2.1V, and, said and done, that cut down the errors massively to just a few thousand on a complete run of memtest86.

Needless to say, while that's a lot fewer, it still isnt near 0 errors.

So, any suggestions? Is the RAM simply incompatible with my board? Or do I have a bad module? Or should I increase the voltage more, and in that case, how high should it go, and what is safe?

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure

Archived