Corsair Community

Flash Drive Reliability

Boo025

I'm considering buying a flash drive. However, I've been hearing that the flash drives have limited number of read/write cycle before failing, so I'm bit worried to make a purchase.

My questions is, how long does a flash drive usually last before failing? (Based on an average usage, about 250mb of reading/writing per day)

Edit: Hmm. Might not be correct place to post it, though I'm really interested in Corsair flash drive. :biggrin:

Huh? Are you serious about that?

A single flash block (as on the chip in the drive) already should've about 100,000 erase cycles.

Proper UFDs however use what is called wear leveling and thus a single logical block as seen by the OS on such drives has many many more write cycles. So many in fact that good UFDs will most probably live beyond their own usefullnes, even with very heavy use.

Huh? Are you serious about that?

A single flash block (as on the chip in the drive) already should've about 100,000 erase cycles.

Proper UFDs however use what is called wear leveling and thus a single logical block as seen by the OS on such drives has many many more write cycles. So many in fact that good UFDs will most probably live beyond their own usefullnes, even with very heavy use.

The minimum rated read/write stated by flash manufactures is 100K for a single NAND flash IC. This however is a minimum.

Reliable CMOS Floating-Gate Technology

- Endurance : 100K Program/Erase Cycles

- Data Retention : 10 Years

Wear leveling is a feature of the flash controller and very few manufactures use this in a commercial device. As with any electrical device there are possibilities of early failure. Through normal use the drive will become obsolete before it actually fails on you.

Archived