Corsair Community

ShouldI get less, faster RAM, or more slower ram? TWIN2X2048-6400C3 vs TWIN2X2048-64

I'm going to be building a new DDR2 system, nd I'm having trouble selecting between the TWIN2X2048-6400C3 and the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 sticks.

The timings on the C3 are SICK. But obviously, this ram is MUCH more expensive than the (albeit still VERY fast) C4's. I could probably afford to buy one set (2 GB) of the C3, but perhaps 2 of the C4's.

I use my pc for mostly internet/e-mail and gaming. Is there even a noticeable real-world difference between the C3 and the C4?

Will 4 GB vs 2 GB make my computer faster? I've read that once you get over 2 GB the only noticeable changes are seen with photo/video editing, which I don't do much of.

I've also read that most games (save for MMORPGs) are not programmed to utilize more than 2 GB of memory. But even if thats true, if I have more than 2 GB, than the game can use the full 2 GB and then windows background process can use the remaning memory, thus speeding up the gamr, right?

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject.

Hust to confuse you more...

I believe 32bit Windows can see only up to 3.5GB of RAM. This will change with the higher versions of Vista but that is a year away.

Currently, only a few games even benefit from 2GB over 1GB. To my knowledge, no game will really benefit from more than 2GB. There is negliable improvement in Oblivion from 1GB to 2GB. However, 2GB does help a game like Battlefield 2. Here is a article that came out last winter about memory sizes: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/13/how_much_ram_do_you_really_need/ It pretty much says 1.5GB to 2GB is all you really currently need if you are a heavy user. Even with Vista, I don't expect anything require more than 2GB for a few years.

On the other side, the benchmark difference between C3 and C4 is only a few percent. So real-world differences is pretty much unnoticable.

Archived