Corsair Community

Add one more Dual rad with fan

ntvh

Hi,

I am very please with my nautilus 500 and my question is Can I add one Extra double Rad w/fan to nautilus 500? Will it make my game card and CPU to 0 degree C ? :confused: Thanks

Can't recall seeing a standard WC kit cool to 0 C, not without some serious stuff (e.g. dry ice, liquid nitrogen, or Fluorinert, which is $500 / gallon).

Think about it, your freezer can cool stuff that low, but it's not water cooled, it's got some serious chemicals acting in the background.

Now, are you asking about cooling down to 32 degrees Fahrenheit = 0 degrees Celsius, or 32 degrees Celsius = 89.6 degrees Fahrenheit? The latter is definitely possible with standard water cooling, assuming that your room and case temp aren't really high.

My room temp is High on summer. I'm talking about " 0 degree C. " . I readed at the PC per.com...somebody there they said it would help with the bigger Rad but before I do it I would take any expertiii tech at this website first. before I do any extra steps for nothing.

For spent more $500 on this if it work out good I would do Do you know where to buy those stuff. thanks again.:confused:

If you are looking at sub-ambient cooling you will need to protect the board from condensation. Normally neoprene and dielectric grease needs to be applied to the CPU socket and surrounding area.

where is to buy it?

Before you worry about protecting your components do you have any idea of what you would need to get your temps down that low? It's an expensive hobby that is also potentially very dangerous to your hardware. I 'think' one of the best methods of achieving this is goal is to use a phase change system. What that does is to essentially compress a gas into a liquid; this will store a lot of energy into the liquid and make it very hot. Then cool the liquid to a reasonable temperature. When this liquid turns back into a gas, over the cpu block, the condensed thermal energy in the liquid is suddenly and rapidly depleted during the process. This is (basically) how a phase change cooling system works. You might Google "How an air conditioner works" for more detailed information on this process. There are several manufactures that make products that use this process to lower your temperatures to below freezing.

I'm not an engineer, but I think it would be a waste of your time and money to attempt to achieve these low temperatures with any kind of standard liquid cooling system. In fact, the only way I can see of achieving those kinds of temps with a normal water cooling kit is to use a liquid that won't freeze at 0 C, alcohol or antifreeze, and then to run the tubing through an additional radiator that is submersed in below freezing water, this can be achieved with lots of ice and lots of salt. I have no idea how this would impact the pump on the Nautilus, but I'm certain that it would hurt the o-rings on the quick disconnects.

What exactly is your goal? The Nautilus 500 is a good kit that IMO offers the advantages of LC with easy installation and low cost. If you want more performance, then you might consider other kits that are designed for what you want. The rules of this forum prohibit anyone from discussing other products so I won't try to list the other manufactures, but if you Google “liquid cooling” or “phase change cooling” you should find a lot of information out there that will suit your needs.

Thank you for your help. I will follow to your suggestion and read/learn from there. You are right, the Nautilus 500 is a excellent piece eq. I love it. All I want to get more of it but I guess there are always limited. Thanks for all advice. I will do some google and go from there. Hey, I don't want nobody to break any rules of this FORUM. So I will stop here and not go out of the line. thank you very very much. I hope in the short future CORSAIR will come up new more juice and wonderful watercooling like this.:p: :D: :D:

• 2 weeks later...

ntvh - the radiator can only cool the water to (at best and you ain't gonna hit it w/stock WC) room temp.

It is using the air in the room to cool the water ...

An extra rad will do a lot if you get the right one.

If you follow the directions well ... a peltier can drop your cpu to 0, but in reality, you only want to drop to 30 as every degree below 30 pulls as much extra to maintain as above 40.

So, depending on your CPU, choose the pelt that will keep you in that range.

A pelt will run $30 - $40 ... you have the WC to cool it. The stuff you need to install it well ~ another $40.

And I'd go with a diff waterblock. Check DangerDen.com.

Frozen CPU has some other cool options.

ntvh - the radiator can only cool the water to (at best and you ain't gonna hit it w/stock WC) room temp.

It is using the air in the room to cool the water ...

An extra rad will do a lot if you get the right one.

If you follow the directions well ... a peltier can drop your cpu to 0, but in reality, you only want to drop to 30 as every degree below 30 pulls as much extra to maintain as above 40.

So, depending on your CPU, choose the pelt that will keep you in that range.

A pelt will run $30 - $40 ... you have the WC to cool it. The stuff you need to install it well ~ another $40.

And I'd go with a diff waterblock. Check DangerDen.com.

Frozen CPU has some other cool options.

I just got the extra rad with fan from fr********en.com. This one you can I install at the front base.

Will chk DangerDen.com and by the way ...What is pelt?

At this moment, I am learnning how to install the Subzero from this website http://www.asetek.com/default.asp?showPage=startside.asp&contentSection=2

but if the " pelt" is easy and cost less then will go for it.

Thanks

Thanks Guys. is there easy way to install the pelt. As you know,I bought the Nautilus 500 system already, is there anyway I still can use it and add the pelt ( hope somebody can show or help me to install this stuff in easy way) . Thanks :bigeyes:

PS. Does this will get my CPU to 0 degree cesius at LOAD mode??

you need lots of work to prevent condensation on MB when using a pelt @ full rated voltage, also another PSU just made for pelt spec's.

To mount, first determind what is the hot side asper wire polarity an place the WB on it while after insulate cpu area on cold side of pelt.

WARNING: if you don't kiss goodbye to your hardware

A peltier is a thermal electric cooler aka TEC.

It makes the hot side real hot and the cold side real cold.

The one that I'm looking at adding is a 169w pelt from DangerDen.

It runs on a 12v line and has a temp diff of 70 degrees C. So, the cold side (under perfect curcumstances) would be that much colder than the hot side.

For me, running a 4600+ CPU and the 169w pelt, I should be able to drop my CPU temp 10c below what it would run other wise.

I've seen posting of the 226w pelt bringing a 3500+ CPU down to 1c.

But pay attention to the potential issues. In most climates, that much cooler than room temp can cause condensation.

Condensation ... well water + computer = :bigeyes:

DangerDen has a good link to how to install.

Read up and if you still wanna hit super low temps :sunglasse

Do they have some type of control that prevent not to let condensation stage happen? like if the sensor know that the temp is going down below set, it would request more power to keep the temp continue not dropping down... so the system won't get to the condensation stage.

One more question, Suppose, My computer is run 24/24, my cool system is at 0 degree censius = 32 degree F. if my cool system fail and the temp will raise up so is there anyway to prevent the water from (the hoses) condensation stage get (drip) into my MB? :eek: How can you prevent that not happen? Sorry if this is a Dump question. :confused: :bigeyes:

Thank you

Swiftech is working on making one with a "theral control" sort of package that they suggest will maintain the CPU between 30c and 35c.

But even that would require prevention as (depending on your humidity) even a couple degrees below ambient temps can cause condensation.

DangerDen has everything that you'll need to prep the board as well as the materials that you'd need to insulate between the CPU and waterblock.

In order to get the CPU cool, the peltier needs to run cooler than ambient. So, even to get the CPU to ambient ... the pelt would be sub ambient.

The process isn't that difficult if you are comfertable working on computers.

You also need to remember that those things require power. Mine is a 12v 18amp unit that I was able to use an empty PCIe plug off of my 700w PSU.

If you don't have the wattage off of you PSU, you will need to get an additional power supply.

Another thought.

And if you need another power supply ... plus all the stuff you need to put it togather ...

There are other options. Phase change systems would run you $200 - $300 US ....

A good power supply for your pelt could run $100 easy.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived