Corsair Community

Asus P5WDG2-WS and Corsair RAM

Ryck

Hi,

I'm building a new rig and need to know if either your TWIN2X2048-6400C4 or TWIN2X5400C4 matched pairs will work in the Asus P5WDG2-WS motherboard. But here's the kicker - I want to populate ALL FOUR memory slots for a total of 4gb. I have been Googling around and have gotten the impression that at least the PC6400 RAM will not work in this board if the full 4mb is installed - to the point of being totally unbootable. This may be another case of Asus running their mouths but being unable to back up the capabilities they advertise. I need 4gb for large graphic art projects but want the speed for when I need to kick back and frag stuff all night.

Thanks!

Rick

My rig - the above mentioned mobo, cpu = Pentium 955EE 3.46GHz, RAM = currently two pairs of Corsair TWIN2X1024-5400(or 4x 512), HDD = 2ea 200gb Maxtor SATA2's in RAID 0 config, Optical Drive = Plextor PX716SA DVD+/-R+RW SATA2

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest Twin2x2048-6400 with this MB and if you use 4 modules or 2 sets of modules I would set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts. In addition, you will want to use a CPU that is 64 Bit compatible so you can use all of the memory other wise you may only have about 3 gig of ram available in any 32 bit O.S..

Thanks - I'll go with that option. The problems I've heard were with the Asus P5WD2 boards.

One other question, though: I don't want to buy both pairs at the same time. Gotta wait to get paid again and again for the second pair. (and talk the wife into it - lol) The machine is currently up and running, so getting a 64bit CPU isn't doable. Will the 6400 RAM still work on a 32bit setup?

And yet another question - since there will be a time lag between when I buy the two pairs, will I experience problems if one pair of memory slots has two 1gb, PC6400C4 sticks and I leave the two 512mb, PC5400 sticks for an interrim total of 3gb? I would hope it would just run the RAM at the lower speed until I install the next two PC6400 sticks. My graphics just require quantities of RAM and I think the speed issue is more for gaming(?)

Rick

• Corsair Employees

Will the 6400 RAM still work on a 32bit setup?

A: Yes but you may not see the full 4 gig of memory!

Will I experience problems if one pair of memory slots has two 1gb, PC6400C4 sticks and I leave the two 512mb, PC5400 sticks for an interim total of 3gb?

A: I would not suggest mixing memory, all of the modules should be the exact same part# and revision for best performance.

• 1 year later...
I would suggest Twin2x2048-6400 with this MB and if you use 4 modules or 2 sets of modules I would set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts. In addition, you will want to use a CPU that is 64 Bit compatible so you can use all of the memory other wise you may only have about 3 gig of ram available in any 32 bit O.S..

Hi, newbie here. I would like to use two 2GB DIMMs for a total of 4GB in a P5DG2 WS Pro and take the hit of only being able to see around 3GB. Will the TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G do that? It's listed in Memory Configuratior list for the motherboard. I don't want to fill all four DIMM slots because RG said somewhere around here that filling all four slots results in a performance hit from 800MHz to 667MHz.

Sorry if any of this is redundant.

Thanks, - Dave

• Corsair Employees
Seeing the full four gig is a MB and or chipset O.S. limitation not a memory limitation. In addition, the MB you have P5WDG2 was rated at DDR667 with a 1066 FSB CPU as I remember but should over clock to DD800 with said CPU. And Yes Twin2x4096-6400C5DHX should run great in that MB with the exceptions I have already listed.

Archived