Corsair Community

stability problem

Hi,

Been meaning to seek this place out for past couple months since I took the plunge for this nice Corsair PC3200C2 RAM.....

What bites me on the ankle is this SPD programming being set to CL3. Thast fine if I paid less for the CL3 RAM...but I ponied up some decent cash just for the CL2 Low latency stuff that supposedly runs at CL2 at PC3200 speed, which mine never would AMD platform or not.

IF I pay EXTRA for CL2 RAM, I expect it to run at CL2 speeds END OF STORY.

It runs GREAT at CL2.5...stable and solid. But again, I say, I paid for CL2 RAM, not CL2.5 RAM !!!

But believe me, when they cant even get the SPD programming matched to the product they are selling....it sorta says something about the company's concerns about quality control.

The selling of C2 RAM means that if I am not a tech guru, I shouldn't have to go into my BIOS to get the settings I paid extra for in the first place. Thankfully I know my way around a BIOS pretty well, and was able to set my RAM up at CL2.5 8-( even tho it is sold as CL2.

Just my $200 opinion.

Sammydad1

• Corsair Employees

If you have a XMS module that ends with a "C2" designation the SPD will be set to JEDEC defined values for the IC used to make that specific part and the tested settings would need to be manually set!

Are you saying that you cannot set the timings manually to run at Cas 2.0? Or the modules you have will not run at Cas 2.0?

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. My point of contention is this.... It appears that the Corsair Marketing Department won out over the Engineers in this instance whereby the RAM I bought PC3200C2 (as opposed to plain old PC3200) is sold as CL2, but requires every use rto go into their BISO and set it manually in order to achieve the Marketed CL2 Value. Beyond that point, I and I think many others can't even get our CL2 RAM to run at CL2 even at standard PC3200 / DDR400 speed; when I took any settings and moved CL2.5 to CL2, my blue screen was justa round the corner.

They run great on CL2.5 but I paid for CL2 ability, and I would like to get what I paid for.

The point about JEDEC standard stuff for SPD programming is..well...a cop-out in my opinion. In all the 10 years or so I have been building PC's, has my RAM maker FORCED me to go into the BIOS and made me make fundamental changes to the BIOS in order to simply achieve what I paid for.

WOuld AMD or Intel sell a CPU that by default ran slower than the label on the box, until I went into the BIOS and changed a setting for the CPU speed ?

I think NOT.....

Again, thank you for your prompt reply.

Sammydad1

The JEDEC SPD timings isn't a cop-out, just an explanation. I'm pretty sure the 3200C2 series is their most popular model (scan the forums), and as such needs to be a bit easier to install than others. Some systems freak when they don't see JEDEC timings, so setting the SPD as such helps out with the initial setup for some people.

Now, down to some troubleshooting!

Test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+ v1.65 and the following timings (reiterated for clarity / to help other readers of this thread)

Corsair XMS Qualification and Testing Information

CAS Latency (tCL): 2.0

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6

Command Rate: 1T

Memory Voltage: 2.75 Volts (if 2.75 doesn't exist, try 2.70 or 2.80)

Memory Voltage is warrantied up to, but not over, 2.90 volts

All other settings to defaults.

Hi,

Sorry to be sounding like an unreasonable person, but the basic fact, to me at least, and if I may specualte, many other people.... is that if Corsair has the need to sell a CL2 Low Latency product, then it only seems the reasonable thing that this CL2 product actually run at CL2 when operated at PC3200 Speed.

Now if you are saying that Corsair is selling a CL2 Low Latency (READ MORE EXPENSIVE, MORE $$$) product that defaults to CL3 by SPD programming, then it should be sold as a CL3 product. END OF STORY.

What if you bought a shiny new Cadillac Escalade (your car of choice goes here) that came with a shiny new V-8 engine, that they charged extra for as an option, but you had to open the hood and reprogram the engine chip because the factory set it to only run on 4 or 6 cylinders by default. What would you say to that ? I think most "reasonable" folks would say something like...."BOGUS".....

Selling me more expensive Low Latency CL2 RAM that defaults to CL3 is something I would expect of some shady gray market seller; not a top line company like Corsair.

If the contention is No SPD programming might freak-out some motherboards, then just program the SPD for CL2 as it is being hyped, marketed and Sold as....

Just give us users what we paid for....not too much to ask in my mind, simplsitic tho I may be.

Sammydad1

if Corsair has the need to sell a CL2 Low Latency product, then it only seems the reasonable thing that this CL2 product actually run at CL2 when operated at PC3200 Speed.

Now if you are saying that Corsair is selling a CL2 Low Latency (READ MORE EXPENSIVE, MORE $$$) product that defaults to CL3 by SPD programming, then it should be sold as a CL3 product. END OF STORY.

You're not getting it. They CAN and WILL function @ 2-3-3-6, GUARANTEED. XMS are higher end memory, and as such may need to be manually set (for instance, all XMS DDR1 are tested @ 2.75 volts, whereas the JEDEC spec is @ 2.5 volts).

If the contention is No SPD programming might freak-out some motherboards, then just program the SPD for CL2 as it is being hyped, marketed and Sold as....
Because some boards freak out at 2-3-3-6 right off the bat, because it's different from JEDEC specs. They'll usually let you change them once it's booted one time.

Now please answer the previous question! Are you having actual problems with your memory or not? If so, what is the version # of each stick? Is it a TwinX pack?

ok...

so after some fussin and mussin I got my CL2 RAM to actually use CL2....but at DDR366 HAHAHA....sure made me glad I got this CL2 stuff.

Should have saved the money and got the normal CAS3 stuff. Altho this CAS2 RAM runs at CAS3 very nice....stable at 237 at CAS3...too bad I paid for CAS2.

So it overclocks really well..but wont run stable at advertised speed and settings.....go figger.

Archived