Corsair Community

DFI Expert - Myriad of RAM Options

DuckieHo

These DFI boards have a whole lot of timing options. Except for the 5 primary settings, I left them on AUTO. My question is does the AUTO value change everytime? Like will it be 8T one time and the next reboot it'll be 9T?

Related... I tried to OC my TWINX2048-4000PT a bit to 260Mhz to maintain 1:1 with my FSB. I tried 3-4-4-8-1T and other timings on AUTO. I also tried 3-4-4-8-1T and manually set the other timings to very loose. No luck... I fail MemTest86, most often on Test #7. RAM voltages are at 2.80v and CPU is at 1.4v. I also attempted to run the RAM at 255 but no luck there either. It seems I cannot run these DIMM over stock at all. Any ideas how I can nudge this RAM slightly?

• Corsair Employees

These DFI boards have a whole lot of timing options. Except for the 5 primary settings, I left them on AUTO. My question is does the AUTO value change everytime? Like will it be 8T one time and the next reboot it'll be 9T?

A: Please ask the MB maker about this question, but no it should not change unless something else with your settings change.

Related... I tried to OC my TWINX2048-4000PT a bit to 260Mhz to maintain 1:1 with my FSB. I tried 3-4-4-8-1T and other timings on AUTO. I also tried 3-4-4-8-1T and manually set the other timings to very loose. No luck... I fail MemTest86, most often on Test #7. RAM voltages are at 2.80v and CPU is at 1.4v. I also attempted to run the RAM at 255 but no luck there either. It seems I cannot run these DIMM over stock at all. Any ideas how I can nudge this RAM slightly?

A: Please tell me the exact settings you had set!

Sorry about the delay. Took my PC apart for some case modding. I tried overclocking the TWINX2048-4000PT again. I used the setting below and ran MemTest for 7 hrs. I recieved 10 errors which were all on test #5.

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 1:1

Command per Clock: Disabled/Enabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

Odd Divider: Disable

DRAM Interweave: Enable

And leave the rest at AUTO setting

Genie BIOS

FSB BUS Frequency: 255

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio: 3X

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: 10x

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.40

CPU VID Control: 1.40

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.52

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.84

This is my 3rd pair of TWINX memory that I have purchased in the last year. The other two kits were great with nice tight timings and overclockability. I got the TWINX2048-4000PT because I thought I could at least OC them at bit with my mobo. The Corsair lab even posted 215 using stock settings with my DFI Expert. I just want to get 210 to maintain 1:1 divider with my CPU.

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings:

FSB BUS Frequency: 255

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: 10x

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.45

CPU VID Control: 1.45

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.6

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.84

I tired increasing the voltages to the ones you recommended.

While running at 255FSB, I recieved 6 errors on test 5 (Block move, 64 moves) on the first run. I lowered FSB to 253 and ran error-free for 6hrs. I was also able to pass one run of MemTest at 254. Did I just get a poor overclocking pair?

Yes, they are rated 250MHz. However, most electronic components are sold with some performance leeway. 4MHz buffer is not very much especially for Corsair's higher quality memory. The Corsair labs even got 265MHz on stock while I can only pull off 254Mhz even with higher voltage. I wanted this RAM to do 260MHz which I know is not too much in terms of an overclock.

I have not tested the DIMMs individually yet. I assume Corsair will not issue a RMA since this memory does run as advertise. Even if I find that one the sticks is the culprit for my 254MHz limit, I cannot do anything about it. I guess I will downclock the RAM for to get more performance out of my CPU.

FSB BUS Frequency: 294

Memory Divider: 5/6

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: 9x

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.40

CPU VID Control: 1.40

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.52

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.80

• Corsair Employees
Well it could be the system topping out is my point, and the reason to test them one up. They should run about 10 MHz higher in single channel, but if you test them one up and get about the same results then it may be the system. So please test them one up and let me know the results and we can always try replacing them, but if it’s the system there would not be much point.

I got home from work and reset my settings back to run my old stable 250Mhz. However, I can no longer load Windows. On the load up screen with the Windows bar, the PC crashes and reboots. I am able to load Windows in Safe mode however. I checked my temperatures and my CPU is at 45C idling. My usual idle temperature is 28C idle.

What happened? Did my CPU fry at 2.5GHz at 1.45v for 6 hours? :confused:

XP Safe Mode works. Was able to run SuperPi fine with my usual times. My voltages are all correct.

The only problems are my OS not loading properly and my CPU temps are 8C higher than usual. If it is OS corruption, how could this have come about. I was OCing but nothing extreme. I have all quality components as well so I would expect study voltages.

Individual RAM testing complete. One stick is performing much better than the other one. Is there anyway Corsair will replace the RAM? My good stick runs at 263 fine but the bad one runs only at 252. Not much of a buffer while running at 250. Let me know what you think, thanks!

Good Stick:

265: 7 errors on #8

264: 2 errors on #8

263: Pass

Bad Stick:

264: 30720 errors on #5, 1022 on #8

259: 1360 on #5 (aborted MemTest after test #5)

256: 64 on #5 (aborted MemTest after test #5)

255: 10 on #5 (aborted MemTest after test #5)

254: 10 on #5 (aborted MemTest after test #5)

253: 2 on #5 (aborted MemTest after test #5)

252: Pass

TWINX2048-4000PT right? They're spec'd for 250 Mhz, so if they run fine at that speed, I can't see them replacing it for not overclocking over their specs. You'd have to talk to their customer service I guess and plead your case for a replacement.

RAM Guy, am I out of luck overclocking then? My individual RAM max speeds seem to be 263Mhz and 252Mhz. Since I will be using both, I guess my best 100% stable overclock will only be 252MHz. However, you had mentioned that running them individually yielded about 10MHz more. Take that inverse, running the 2x1GB kit would reduce my stable clock by 10MHz? Taking that in acccount, my actual stable clock would be 242-245Mhz. If so, am I cutting it close running 250MHz? Let me know, thanks for everyone's help so far.

Archived