Corsair Community

PC3200 instead of PC133 in iMac G4 800MHz?

QWK_SLVR

Hello everyone,

I am trying to help out a good friend that is giving his son an iMac G4 as a graduation gift. His son is a bright young man on his way to Johns Hopkins University. He needs a 168-pin DIMM and a 144-pin SODIMM each 512MB of PC133 for an iMac G4 ( it maxes out at 1GB of RAM that way). I have a Corsair DIMM and SODIMM of 512MB each that are PC3200 (part #s: VS512MB400 and VS512SDS400) and was wondering if they would work. Would they "clock down"? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Me

I am trying to help out a good friend that is giving his son an iMac G4 as a graduation gift. His son is a bright young man on his way to Johns Hopkins University. He needs a 168-pin DIMM and a 144-pin SODIMM each 512MB of PC133 for an iMac G4 ( it maxes out at 1GB of RAM that way). I have a Corsair DIMM and SODIMM of 512MB each that are PC3200 (part #s: VS512MB400 and VS512SDS400) and was wondering if they would work. Would they "clock down"? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, DDR memory is not compatible with regular SDRAM-based systems. For example, the VS512MB400 has 184 pins, not just 168 - and the pins do not line up with one another; for that matter, the modules and slots are notched to prevent fitting one type of module into a slot designed for another type of module. Thus, your DDR memory will not even physically fit the SDRAM slots of that iMac G4.

Archived