Corsair Community

Update on Abit VT7 and vs 2X512 3200 modules

paschal

Just thought I would send out an update on the problems I was having getting 4 value select 512 PC 3200 modules to work in that motherboard. They never did. All modules were identical and I could mix and match any two but that is as far as it went. In addition, the board is almost impossible to overclock due to the bios. I had tried everything with the ram voltage etc. I had even upgraded the PSU to a 550 TruePower Antec with exactly the same result. I finally decided to use the board in a budget PC for my wife.

I purchased an Asus P4P800 SE and started with two modules and a new 6600, 256 meg video card. Three days and no crashes, and running in a well cooled Antec Case Sonata II with 2-- 120 fans, and a new CPU fan, TR2-M12 made by a Thermaltake associated company, called TR2TT. The fan/heatsink has all copper fins, and when the CPU heats up, the cool down is much quicker than the stock Intel cooler, which was starting to squeel and had to be replaced. Can't beat 10 bucks for a decent fan/heatsink. Also much heavier than the stock.

Anyway I put in the other 2 sticks of vs 2X512. Both windows, and the bios report it as a full 2 GB, and the system has run crash free for over a week, instead of five minutes as with the ABIT VT7. In addition, a few days ago I ramped up to over 3.8 gig clock speed on a 3.2 Prescott. The RAM is only reporting 266 in dual channel at 2.5, 4, 4, 4 and 8. Hopefully with some tweaking I can get a divider to bring it up to 333 by going to the BIOS to overclock.

The overclock is just with the Asus AI windows app, so as soon as I can figure out how to get the Microsoft USB 4000 keyboard recognized quick enough to go into BIOS, I will start fiddling some more.

The main point, however is that nothing at this point points to the RAM as being the source of the problems that I was having, and that although there may be some trade-offs, even the value select on the right motherboard can overclock just fine.

• Corsair Employees

With this MB if you install more than 2 double sided modules you may have to set the memory frequency at DDR266 or DDR333 because of loading on the memory controller.

Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

• 3 months later...

I am having the exact same problem as described by paschal. I have a Abit

VT7 motherboard (specs)

Processor

- Supports Intel Pentium® 4/Celeron Socket 478 processors

(800/533/400MHz FSB)

- Supports Intel Hyper-Threading Technology

Memory

- Four 184-pin DIMM sockets (Un-buffered Non-ECC DIMM)

- Supports Dual DDR 400/333/266 (Max. 4GB)

I have a P4 2.4 with HT. I have been running value select 2x512(vs1gbkit400) for over a year without any crashes. I decided to upgrade with another gig of the exact same memory. Once I installed it, it would reboot after only a few minutes. As paschal had said, I tried every combination of the memory and it alsways did the same thing. I dont want to replace my motherboard to be able to run 2gb. Also I dont want to have to try 2x1gb to achieve my goal since I already have money invested in the 2 sets of memory.

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks for the quick response. I am kind of new to the programming aspect of computers(I can install drivers and such) but I really dont know how to set the cas. I was diging around in the system bios but I was unable to find the exact location to enter the mem timing. If there is a tutorial to follow I love to see it, or if you could give me a few tips to complete it.

THanks

Quick update-

Ran memtest with all 4 memory sticks in, reset cas to 2.5-3-3-7 @ 2.7volts. Failed test #5. Ran each stick individually and they all passed- allowed memtest to run for min of 1 hour each time. The only setting I didnt change was ram to dr266 as previously mentioned. I really dont know where in the bios to make that change. I probably looked at it but was unsure and didnt want to make a mistake. Anyways thanks for the help, and if you could suggest any other routes to take I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Drew

Archived