Corsair Community

TWINX1024 and 2048 - 3200C2PT together

suraklin

I ran TWINX1024-3200C2PT for 2 years in my computer. No problem.

I bought TWINX2048-3200C2PT to upgrade.

My ram settings are 2-3-3-6 (i tried setting to By SPD)

My burst length is set to 8 Clocks. (other option is 4 Clocks)

DRAM Idle Timer 16T (also tried setting to Auto)

My voltage is 2.75

My motherboard is ASUS P4P800.

When I try to boot my system with 3 gigs of ram, windows reboots itself over and over. (edit: it gets past the splashscreen, i see a black desktop and my mouse cursor, and that's when it immediately reboots)

It boots fine with one gig (my old modules), or two gigs (my new modules) standing alone. Should the smaller/larger module be the first pair (I thought the larger module should be first). And since I'm trying to use 4 modules instead of 2 now, should I be set at 2.5-3-3-6? (i tried that to no avail, still get reboots)

Thanks for the help.

Edit: When I have the 1GB module pair first and the 2GB module pair second on my mobo, the system will boot. (2.75V, 2-3-3-6) Strange.

• Corsair Employees

First thing I would not suggest mixing memory with this MB or any MB.

Please just use the new modules and load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

is it really mixing memory? this memory is all Corsair TWINX 3200C2PT. the old 1GB and new 2GB all have the same revision numbers on the chips as well. The RAM is matched completely I thought..... It would be OK to use two sets of TWINX1024-3200C2PT (for 2 gigs total) or two sets of TWINX2048-3200C2PT (for 4 gigs total)? But I can't mix 1 gig and 2 gigs for 3 gigs total? Seems strange to me.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try running for awhile with the current configuration with the 1gb of ram in the first paired (blue) slots and the 2gb in the second paired (black) slots, and see how it goes.

is it really mixing memory? this memory is all Corsair TWINX 3200C2PT. the old 1GB and new 2GB all have the same revision numbers on the chips as well. The RAM is matched completely I thought..... It would be OK to use two sets of TWINX1024-3200C2PT (for 2 gigs total) or two sets of TWINX2048-3200C2PT (for 4 gigs total)? But I can't mix 1 gig and 2 gigs for 3 gigs total? Seems strange to me.

In this case, you're mixing completely different IC chips altogether. Currently, all of Corsair's 512MB and 1GB DDR1 modules are of the double-sided x8 configuration, which means that the 512MB modules (TWINX1024) and the 1GB modules (TWINX2048) are of different IC densities (the 512MB modules need 256Mbit IC's, while the 1GB modules require 512Mbit IC's - or put it this way, the TWINX2048 kit uses completely different IC chips than the TWINX1024 kit). The mixed IC's are causing the problem.

By the way, a TWINX2048 kit technically would work together with a TWINX1024 kit - but only if the individual modules in the TWINX1024 kit were single-sided (assuming everything else is equal); in that case, the TWINX1024 kit would not be just TWINX1024, but a TWINX1024A kit. But then, you'd have to put up with the slightly reduced performance due to the additional loading of two extra ranks of memory (remember, dual-channel memory controllers work best with four ranks of memory). And as I mentioned, Corsair does not make any single-sided 512MB DDR1 modules at this time - which means that Corsair does not currently make a CMX512A module or a TWINX1024A kit.

Archived