Corsair Community

Fresh from RMA VS1GBKIT400 having problems

RMA#: R126100

Case#: 151498

Motherboard: ASUS A7N8x Deluxe version 2.0 with latest UBER BIOS installed.

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 400mhz FSB

Memory: VS1GBKIT400 (2x512mb) dual channel

After much time waiting to receive my replacement ram (Took 9 business days from the day that you received! What happened to the if more than 72 hours we will notify you!??) I received my RMA ram yesterday and I still cannot get it to perform at the rated speeds. I wanted to post a message here pointing out they did not work as soon as I received them just in case I cannot get them to work properly and get some troubleshooting info.

I will be on vacation for the next 2 weeks and will NOT be able to try to get these to work until then.

I have tried dual channel 2.5x3x3 @ 2.7v and it produces quite a few errors on Memtest86+ test 5.

I switch to single channel 2.5x3x3 @ 2.7v and it produces 4 errors on test 5.

When trying them single by themselves I get mixed results, either it takes a while for errors to be produced or it gives errors right away.

I currently have them running at 190 (DDR380) 2.5x3x3 @ 2.7v and they are running fine (only tested for about an hour on memtest86+ though, I needed to use my comptuer.)

What should I try next? I think the best thing would be to get some other DDR400 - DDR500 ram and see if I can get it to work properly to rule out my motherboard? as the cause. But I am unsure if I can track down any of my friends that have some (I am in college and they went home for the summer, I stay working for college ITDS). I haven't been able to test these in another system like the ones I've sent back yet either, (The other ones tested bad in other machines beside my own, Havent tried these yet.)

My other ones (before they went bad) worked fine at 400mhz 2.5x3x3 for about 6 months and passed memtest and everything fine, what else could be wrong?

What do you all think?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

First thing, I would suggest testing with the released bios from ASUS not a hacked or UBER bios.

Second thing, your modules were received on the 26th of May and since that was a holiday weekend we were closed on Monday the 29th and your new modules were shipped on the 30th, that’s two business days. I am sorry about that, but the Holidays do tend to slow things down a bit.

Third thing, I would suggest you call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

• Corsair Employees
I will have to check into the date, but it is not uncommon to have a day or so from when they actually are delivered and when they are processed. But I would agree that seems extreme. I will check into to this and see what can be done to prevent it in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just flashed to Asus official BIOS revision 1008 (Revision 2 of board, so cant try 1009 beta which is for other chipset/version).

and still get same errors!

Only thing I haven't tried is sticking a different stick of ddr400 in my mobo to see what happens.

Anything else I can try?

• Corsair Employees
Please call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

Ok, I will give them a call after I get off work today.

On another note, I purchased a 512m stick of Simpletech PC3200, and guess what? Works perfectly. I was able to run memtest overnight (about 32 passes) without a single error. ALSO it is rated at cas3, but I was also able to oc it down to cas2.5 w/o erros in memtest...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived