Corsair Community

Bad VS1GBKIT400 stick hangs system, Memtest

One of the two 512MB sticks in my VS1GBKIT400 kit causes regular system hard-freezes. Also, with the offending stick installed, Memtest did not complete a pass after nearly a day of processing. With the stick removed, I have no problems.

It looks to me like it's gone bad... thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill Yanelli

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

• 2 months later...

Hello again. I ran some tests about a month ago but then had to leave for vacations. Now I'm back, and still confused.

I was able to set the timings to "By SPD," but there is no option in my BIOS for voltage control. I then tested Memtest on both sticks and it did not appear to do anything.

The problem might be:

1. I don't know how to read Memtest. I consider this unlikely because I think it would give you some sort of even the most miniscule visual information to indicate when it has completed a pass--I didn't get anything whatsoever.

2. Memtest doesn't work on my system, perhaps because my BIOS only has limited settings, perhaps for another reason.

3. Both sticks are somehow bad.

4. There is another problem with my system. I consider this unlikely, because the system functions perfectly when I use the "good" stick. Ubuntu runs like a top.

I don't have another computer that uses the same kind of RAM, so I'm not sure what other methods of testing are available to me. I'd appreciate any suggestions you have... this is very frustrating.

Thanks,

Bill

Archived