Corsair Community

Conroe DDR2 1066 Memory

macca007

Hello all,

I am currently looking at building a new system in a few months with Intel's new Conroe cpu which runs a bus speed of 1066MHZ, I have seen Corsair release Ram at this speed, Is this the IDEAL configuration to use ram at the full bus speed to reduce system bottleneck or is there more to it?

I want the optimal performance and possible overclock(depending on Conroe OC'ing). Or will 800Mhz DDR2 ram with lower latencies be better off?

Mainly will be used as a gaming rig with 2Gb or 4Gb of ram in system.

Any help much appreciated,

macca007

P.S.-Corsair if your listening, 2GB Twinxpro kit at 1066Mhz. Want the Led's in next system also,Actually quite useful to see when system is under load just by a quick glance through case window! :)))

Ram Guy - I am a bit confused here. I asked you about either using 8500 or 6400C3 for my board (Asus P5N32-SLI) which has an Intel 965 extreme 3.73 running in it. Also 1066mhz fsb. I was going with the 8500 but changed to the 6400c3 on your advice as it uses the same IC's and may hit 1066fsb anyway, but also gives me the option of lower latencies at 800mhz fsb. So would not the 6400c3 be better for the original poster ?

It's confusing isn't it?

Some say I only need DDR2-533Mhz in dual channel to achieve the 1066Mhz speed bin, 533x2=1066.

My thinking(guessing) is if you run the ram at the same speed as the FSB then there shouldn't be any problem, Besides the obvious higher Cas latencies which I can live with and make up for in other ways.

I also was opting for Twin2X2048-6400pro for next system until Corsair's news of this 1066Mhz ram hit the news.

All I want is the best I can get for next system to allow for future overclocks and play the latest games at max.

If it costs more which it no doubt will, So be it. An extra few weeks saving won't hurt.

In a way what you heard it right. My understanding is this (and correct me if I am wrong) :

Because the Intel bus is quad pumpred, the cpu bus for non extreme processors runs at 200mhz and 266mhz for extreme cpus. So all you need for your memory to stay in sync with your fsb is memory capable of 200mhz (DDR2 3200 for example). But because the latencies are so bad on DDR2 memory, faster memory is recommended. So DDR2 4200 is more then enough for your average Intel cpu. However DDR2 5300 or 5400 is more common lately. This runs at 667mhz (divide by 8). As it is DDR memory this is really 333mhz up and down the chip, and is considerably more then standard DDR400 Ram whch runs at only 200mhz. The extra speed of DDR2 is needed due to Intels poor latency and lack of memory controller on the Intel cpu itself. Now if you consider the Intel extreme or Conroe. They run at 1066fsb which is really 266fsb when you divide by 4 over this quad pumped thing. Your DDR2 5300 is running nicely at 333mhz, so is more then enough. So all DDR2 6400 and 8500 does is just raise the speed barrier again, and in the case of the 6400C3 - drop the latency.

If what I said is all correct - my concern is what happens when you run your memory faster then your cpu's fsb ??? As would be the case with 6400 and 8500.

Nice explanation Flanno, Might settle for Twin2X-6400pro seeing as it's fast enough, That way I can still have the memory LED's to show system under load.

Thanks for the help everyone, Much appreciated. If anyone else can add to that or recommend the best setup for future Conroe cpu(2.66Ghz), Feel free to comment.

Cheers,

macca007

You will need to set the memory frequency at DDR2 667 and over clock your CPU to get the best performance!

Actually on the Asus P5N32-SLI you do not have to overclock your cpu to get your memory to reach it's best performance. So setting the memory to 667mhz is not the best option at all. Although nforce4 offically only supports DDR2 667mhz, you can run your memory asynchronously at any speed the memory supports. You basically have the option of entering your desired memory speed in the bios, and having that run completely independent of you cpu fsb. Or you can run your memory in what is called "linked" mode so it overclocks the same percentage as your cpu (this is what is normal for most motherboards).

I just got my 6400C3 and I run it at its rated 800mhz with 3,3,9,3 timings, and I have my 3.73 extreme running 4.2ghz by overlocking the fsb by 34mhz (14x300fsb). Although there may be some advantages to running the cpu and memory in synch - if I set the memory to 667, and relied on my cpu overclock to boost it, I would only end up with an extra 68mhz. [(300-266)*2]. So my memory would be running at 735mhz. Much better to run at 800mhz from the get go.

The next thing I am going to try is running it at 1066mhz with 5,5,5,15 timings.

Aw...bad news.

Just installed a 7950gx2, and now all of a sudden I cannot post with my memory set any higher then 667!! Asus won't take responsibility as officially the nforce4 chipset is only specced for ddr2 5300 max. I can still maintain my 3,4,3,9 timings and upping the cpu voltage, pci-e voltage and mem voltage makes no difference. What is worse is I have to set my mem speed manually to 667 too. This results in pretty pants mem bench scores of around 5k in Sandra, whereas I was breaking 8k when I had the memory running at full DDR2 6400 spec. If I turn on linked mode in order for the memory to overclock with the cpu fsb I get no boot. If I set it to auto, no boot. And if I set the memory to anything over 667 - no boot. I guess it's just bios instability with this 7950gx2. Does anyone happen to know if there are any beta bios's floating about for the Asus P5N32-SLI ? At least I know when I upgrade to a Conroe motherboard I can take this top class memory with me.

Just reading a little bit about Conroe and like the 3.7EE 965 it has a 1066mhz fsb which comes in at 8.5GB/s. Now all this new 6400 memory that runs at 800mhz has a peak of 12.8GB/s. The Intel Nforce 590 is going to be limited to DDR2 5300 667mhz though, which is 10.6GB/s but still more then enough for Conroe. While the Intel P965 will support DDR2 6400 800mhz, but it seems unlikely you will be able to take advantage of this speed. So it would seem anything over DDR2 5300 is a waste, other then using DDR2 6400 at 667mhz speeds instead of 800 mhz speeds and attempting lower latencies, or possibly overlocking the hell out of your Conroe to get close to the 12.8GB/s limit of DDR2 6400.

Some interesting info. here on Nforce 590 and Intel P965

http://www.behardware.com/html/news/cat3/page1.html

Hmmm, Yes that's another annoying thing. Conroe motherboards, At present there isn't one that does the lot. Either they don't do the bandwidth as in Nforce 5 or they are missing Pata port such as Intel version. How are you meant to connect your cd/dvd drives without one? Hopefully some manufacturer will release an extreme or deluxe version that has all options present.Not to worried about Ram bandwidth at present have other problems, My CPU can't feed my overclocked 7800GTX anyway and to top it off, Hard drives are now the slowest component in most systems. Maybe that will change soon with these hybrid drives that combine flash cache memory for faster boots/load times.

Ahhh it never ends, Oh well it's all good fun being part of it, Just might need a second job soon to feed this tech addiction I have, I just gotta have the latest gear. hahaha

Archived