Corsair Community

Another bad TWINX2048-3200 ??

Hello,

I've been frustrated for the last month with a new system build. After about 2 weeks of stable service, I loaded BOINC from Seti@Home and left for a 4 day vacation. I came back to a BSOD. Now, I keep getting BSOD's around various errors such as IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, or ntfs.sys, usbxxx.sys, or <something>.sys. I have MANY digital photographs of these BSODs if anyone wants to see them, let me know.

Here are the system specs:

Motherboard = Abit KN8 Ultra

Processor = AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2000MHz

RAM = Corsair 2 x TWINX2048-3200

Video Card = SAPPHIRE 100130VIVO Radeon X800GTO2 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Power Supply = ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W

There have been TWO hard drive configurations tested (both failing)

Config #1 - RAID 0 (on the nVidia 4 Ultra controller) of Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3808110AS 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Config #2 - Single Drive of Maxtor Diamond Max 10 300GB Sata I

Here's what I have done to test this rig/make it work (with no joy):

- selected bios defaults except for the two items below

- selected SPD on the bios config

- selected 2.7 volts on the DDR in the bios

- memtest86 for > 24hrs on the dual channel config (no errors)

- memtest86 for 2 passes on each stick in single stick mode (no errors)

- upgraded the KN8 Ultra bios to release 17 (May 3, 2006 release)

More detail on the types of errors:

- the machine has NEVER simply rebooted itself, it either gets a BSOD or freezes on the desktop (when I load the RAID 0 array). Therefore, I do not believe it is a motherboard screw mounting short.

- I tried reinstalling XP on the Maxtor Single Drive and cannot get the install process to complete without a BSOD

Note: This machine resides in a server room with datacenter quality A/C. As such, the CPU temp hangs around 85 Deg F, and the Sys temp hangs around 72 Deg F.

I would definitely welcome and opinions as to tests I should do or different configurations I should try. I am going to mirror this post on the Abit forum. If you monitor both sites, you may see this post over there.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

• Corsair Employee
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS3200 Cass 3-3-3-8 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived