Corsair Community

Cooling System Upgrade Questions

Mike Boehk

Gentlemen - I need some advice on tweaking / upgrading my current cooling set-up.

For the past 8 months I have been running a Hydrocool 200ex system which has allowed me to run a very stable overclock. However, this is the first bit of summer the system has experienced and I noticed 2 things. 1) My CPU temps are rising and 2) My room temps are rising causing more of #1.

I've improved the situation greatly by mounting the Hydrocool below my computer in the cool basement - that both cooled the CPU better and since the radiator heat is now in the basement, room temperatures are better for those long gaming sessions.

I want to further improve the situation and add graphics card cooling and I am thinking about adding another radiator to the system to support that. If I add an additional 120mm rad or 2x120mm rad and GPU block, will the pump be able to keep up?

Has anyone added an additional pump? What issues does this cause?

If I go this route, I would use a solid state relay to turn on the extra pump and fans so I do not overload the Hydrocools control circuit and power supply. When the Hydrocool powers up the pump, the solid state relay would turn on and use an additional supply to then power the aux fans and pump with only 20ma additional draw to the Hydrocool.

The question is - does having 2 pumps in the same tubing flow path cause any issues? Do I really need 2 pumps? (I like the idea since failure of 1 of 2would likely lead to a slower overheat than 1 of 1 failing). I'm just not sure if 2 pumps in series cause any issues. Anyone with experience?

I love my Hydrocool and it's portability. I plan on adding the extra pump and radiator system for home use only with quick connects that match up to the originals so I can disconnect this system for lan parties and go with just the Hydro-cool as is. (Obvioulsy dropping my overclock a bit).

Any suggestions or experiences to share?

Thanks.

Gentlemen - I need some advice on tweaking / upgrading my current cooling set-up.

I want to further improve the situation and add graphics card cooling and I am thinking about adding another radiator to the system to support that. If I add an additional 120mm rad or 2x120mm rad and GPU block, will the pump be able to keep up?

Any suggestions or experiences to share?

Thanks.

you can add rads / WB's.

No need for another pump the bosch(use 33% PG) is good for i use 35ft of tubing in my set-up with 6ft elevation to car rad outside window.

tip: you can use 3/8 ID tubbing by just leaving the old 1/4 on the barb ends an have 1/4 space from end, use a hose clamp don't over tieghten.

for Extreme use @ LP gig's add second rad (with same male/female quick connects)an have a barrel of ice water to dip whole rad.

Mike,

It seems you need a little more boost the HydroCool. If you search the forums for the HydroCool mods, you'll find a wealth of information here.

Here's a small sampling of things to try:

- Add a second fan on the outside of the HC's rad. This will increase the air flow through the HC. One fan inside pushes air into the rad, while the other fan draws air out of the rad.

- Add a second reservoir. Some of us have a one gallon glass pickle jar between the computer and the HC external unit.

- Add a second rad. Very much like the gallon glass jar, except you'll need another fan to wire in.

- Upgrade the CPU block. A CPU block with 3/8" fittings along with tubing and updated 3/8" sized quick-disconnects are required. A new thermal probe is required too.

- Upgrade the pump to the DDC PLUS+, remove the flow-indicator and restrictive 90 degree elbow.

Some of these tasks are really easy to do with little or no investment. The first three mods do not void the HC's warranty since they are sliced into the tubing going from the HC unit to the computer. :D:

The last two options require a real DIY approach and investment of new components.

Adding a second pump to the loop isn't helpful since the Bosch pump can't keep pace with the newer pump offerings on the WC'ing market. The DDC pump and the D5 surpass the Bosch pump in performance.

Hope this helps!

Stev

Archived