Corsair Community

Booting from Flash Voyager

dfranklin

I have 3 4GB Flash voyager devices. I am trying to use BartPE to create a diagnostics/rescue disk on these devices. At first two were working fine, and the third would not boot at all. After repartitioning/reformating the first two, now when I try and boot off the flash drive, I get an OS not found error. From what I read, this may be due to a corrupted boot sector on the drive. Does anyone have experience with this setup? What are the diagnotics utilities for this device? Are there any firmware updates available for this device?

Thanks

Well, I have used both BartPE and the Corsair Flash Voyager utility to make the drives bootable. Presently, I get the same results, which is the no OS found. When using the Flash Voyager utility, I am using the command.com and IO.sys from my Windows XP SP2 install. Again, the third drive never booted, the PC just boots right past it.

We have similar problems, just bought two 4gb and can get neither to self-boot, have used BartPe, hp tools, corsair tools. None will get them to boot.

Considering this is the fifth different branded memory stick we have had and this is the only one we can not get to boot, so its not through lack of knowledge of what to do. It just doesn't work!

Frustrating as we are supposed to be rolling these out to our tech ppl for imaging purposes. Just glad I havnt bought anymore

• Corsair Employees
You cannot use Command.com from WinXP to make a drive Bootable, you would need to use a floppy that is already bootable with DOS and then use the utility to make the Flash Drive bootable, or try and boot with the Floppy and have the Flash Drive as one of the bootable options in your Bios then you can format the Flash drive from a floppy and see if its Bootable, http://www.bootdisk.com to get a bootable floppy

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone had any success getting the 4gb stick to boot?

We have tried everything, (accept voodoo) the only thing we did manage to get to work is the bartpe, but its v slow.

The corsair util does nothing, surely they test these things before they are released? If they did test them and managed to get them to work, can you ring them and ask how they did it!!! Also tried doing the mkbt util to transfer bootsectors, nothing. http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardware_bootfromusbstick.php

Can we have an official response on this, please !

ta :brick:

Archived