Corsair Community

Asus and ValueSelect

beetz12

I'm using an Asus K8VSE Deluxe mobo with 2x VS1GB400C3 Value Select ram. My computer would freeze up whenever I play Warcraft3 and Star Wars Empires At War. For a long time I didn't know what the heck is causing it. I replaced the PSU, installed the latest Bios and Video Card driver, did a clean install of windows, but to no avail.

I never suspected there is something wrong with my Ram until today when I accidentally came across a post by a guy who has a similar problem. His computer also freezes when playing certain games, and when he ran MemTest, he found that he had bad RAM.

Having read his story, I decided to also give RAM testing a try. First I test each stick on every slot, but did not find any problems. Then I tested again with both sticks in, and this time I got a bunch of errors.

Perplexed, I did some googling on this topic. It appears that there are others who have the same problem. One of them said that the bug is in the Asus Bios. While it is able to support 1 stick of DIMM, the timing gets messed up if you install another.

In order to make this work, I think I will need to manually tweak the Ram configurations in BIOS. I really have no idea which settings to choose. Someone please give me some expert advice. Thanks in advance :):

Edit: The ram sticks are 1G each, non dual-channel, 3-3-3-8.

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults with the modules in slots 2-3 or 1-3 and then set the memory Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the system with http://www.memtest.org to be sure its stable.

Ok, two questions. First, why use slots 2-3 and 1-3 instead of of slot 1-2. Second, sorry for sounding completely noobish, but how do I set the RAM voltage? My mobo's manual doesn't explain anything at all. I just checked my computer BIOS and I did not find a setting that lets me adjust RAM voltage. What do I do?

OMG, IT WORKED! You're my savior!! After installing the sticks in slots 1 & 3, and setting the RAM voltage to 2.7, MemTest detected no errors. Wh00!! :sunglasse

You're brilliant, how did you know using slots 1 & 2 is a problem?

I have 2 sticks of 1GB DDR2-533 PC2-4200 Value Select ram that I would like to use with my Asus p5nd2 sli motherboard but my system will not post with them.

It will post with one alone but not the other. I tested both sticks in my brothers pc and they worked fine. My system is working with some pqi ram with no problems. Might I have a borderline bad stick?

Archived