Corsair Community

Shuttle SN41G V2 and my XMS1024-3200C2

siy

Hey everyone,

hoping you can help.

I'm having compatability issues with my new XMS memory and my Shuttle SN41G.

I've been reading the forum and a whole bunch of poeple had similar problems to me back in 2004 - but i did'nt find a final resolution.

The story:

Lets wind the clock back to February: i fancy some new RAM, check Corsairs website and see the TwinX1024-3200CL2 is compatible, so i buy the twin sticks, chuck 'em into my system to find my system won't boot up. I did get them to work, but only after setting mem speed down to 333MHz, not the 400 they were rated for. Not great but acceptable, so i kept 'em in. Fine for three months but then they stopped working. Go back to the retailer and they send some more, only to find they won't run at full speed either. In the meantime my mates cheapo Corsair value select 400 MHz RAM runs fine in my system, and my fancy TwinX sticks work on his mobo fine to. So it looks like a compatability issue.

Going back to Feb, i updated my BIOS before installing the new RAM only to find the RAM voltage on the new BIOS was removed, consulting this forum has shown me that Shuttle did this deliberately due to issues it was causing.

Does anyone know where i stand or how to resolve?

RAM GUY - the corsair website shows that this is the most popular RAM for my mobo, but it just ain't working for me and consulting forum entries from mid-2004 isn't making me feel any better. Can i get my sticks swapped? My retailer isn't interested as i'm beyond their returns period, my replacement sticks are not faulty and thier warrenty doesn't cover compatability. I'm worried that if i run the replacement sticks at 333MHz, they will fall over again in a couple of months.

Cheers

Siy

Tried reflashing the BIOS back through three or four earlier versions, but the RAM voltage option would'nt come back, so i'm stuck at 1.85V.

Forum entries from 2004 reported the same problem.

Siy

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I've got an Athlon XP3200

FSB- 200

CPU Interface: Optimal

Memory freq 83%

Memory timings 3-4-4-10

These were the only settings used that allowed my system to boot up and operate stably for a couple of months until the memory failed.

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems a bit late but i think i know this one...

FN41's arent too supportive to anything above 333... u have to manually set it to 333 or SPD will do it for you on the bios... If it doesnt... flash bios and maually set... Shuttle bioses are known to be buggy sometimes but should be ok if u get latest one (which should date back to end of 2004 or start of 2005)...

Generic ram usually gets clocked down to 333 or even lower... depending on your CPU (Its obvious... silly me)

I used a SK41G at work when i was there and my cpu in it was a XP2000+... drove my PC3200 generic ram down to 266...

Only FN45 boards (which have NForce2) will support 400... I was a technician for a Shuttle Distributor about a year ago... saw alot of problems with the FN41 boards... i would have suggested to go for the FN45(SN45) more stable and wouldnt have costed too much more... Check your board version and let me know... ill try and scrounge up all the dated information as i can... version numbers can be located at the board corner itself... (near the AGP Slot) or the actual Serial number and model number on the Bottom of the Chassis...

Archived