Corsair Community

Corrupted ram

Moreau

I bought a VS1GB400C3 PC3200 1024mb ram stick 10 months ago. it was working fine for 8 months, then suddenly games like world of warcraft and oblivion would crash as soon as loading. I would get the blue screen of death. i thought the problem was my video card, so I bought a new one (the old one sucked anyway) but the same problem kept happening.

The new blue screen of death(BSoD) tells me that nv4_disp is the fle that is being messed up or whatever. This is the main driver file for the new video card. So I went back to the old video card, and started getting BSoD errors saying there was a problem witht his vid card as well.

I took out the corsair ram and no longer got any crashes, so Im like 95% sure the stick s corrupted.

I bought the stick from here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=C13-2920

the warranty is over so I came here for help.

Also, i ran MEMtest and it said i had errors, Im a newb, didnt know what they meant so i switched out ram sticks, every possible combination, and only the corsair stick gave errors.

so....Can i replace this? just send it in and get a new one?

I dont think the problem could have anything to do with compatability or BIOS because it worked fine for 8 months.

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

where can I find what the timing settings should be for different modules? is there a page somewhere? im looking right now but havent found anything yet. Ill test the corsair with the 2-3-3-6 timing and see what memtest shows with that.

edit: just saw the "What are the correct timings for My Module?" link in your signature, read it, and dont understand it....

DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual means nothing to me.

heeeeelp me is newb :(

Ok I got my friends father over, he had to so the same thing for his dual ram stick where one of them crapped out.

Memtest found no erors with either of the 2 256mb sticks, individually and at the same time. It found 34 errors throughout all the tests on the corsair 1024 stick. So Im gonna do that “I think I have a bad part!” link.

Thanks

edit: 34 errors in the first pass, up to the 7th test

• Corsair Employees
Please call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

well I got my friends dad to run the tests, he got those 34 errors with just the corsair stick, he set the timings and everything. I made one of those RMA request things and got an email, but they said I need to return BOTH modules, but ive only got one corsair, not 2. The other 2 are the ones tht came with the computer and are working fine. Should I just ship the one 1024 corsair now?

Archived