Corsair Community

3500LL vs 3500LL PRO for A8n32-SLI Deluxe

Nightcrawler

Hi,

Does anyone know what the differences are between the two 3500LL 2GB kits are? Is it just the LED's and heat sink? Is there a major difference between the two performance wise?

Also I know the 3500LL PRO is tested and optimised for the A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard but what about the 3500LL? surely they are compatible?

I mainly want to do 3d animation and graphic design with the machine but also want to be able to play a few of the latest games. Would one of these ram modules be more suited to my needs than the other?

I am looking at getting one of the 2GB kits for starters but does anyone know if I'll see a large improvement if I get 2 x 2GB kits (4GB ram)?

My current machine specs (this is a new machine I'm building I only need Ram and a case everything else already bought):

A8N32-SLI Deluxe

AMD X2 4200+

Insert Ram here...

2x320GB WD3200KS HDD 16MB CACHE

2xNVIDIA QUADRO FX3400 PCI-E CARDS 256MB RAM (TO BE RUN IN SLI)

ULTRA 550W X2 POWERSUPPLY

PIONEER DUAL LAYER DVD BURNER

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

PRO = LEDs, NOTHING ELSE. Same memory, just with LEDs.

4 x 1GB will produce a performance decrease, as your memory controller will slow down with more than 2 sticks, although w/ 3d animation, the amount of memory may be more beneficial than the speed.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think the performance decrease would be significant if 4 x 1GB modules were used, even if they were 2 x dual channel pairs? I mean would the performance benifit of going 2 x 2GB sticks as aposed to 4 x 1GB sticks (or 2 TWINX 2GB kits) out weigh the price difference?

Are there any way of preventing a decrease in performance if 4 x 1GB sticks are used?

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think the performance decrease would be significant if 4 x 1GB modules were used, even if they were 2 x dual channel pairs? I mean would the performance benifit of going 2 x 2GB sticks as aposed to 4 x 1GB sticks (or 2 TWINX 2GB kits) out weigh the price difference?

Are there any way of preventing a decrease in performance if 4 x 1GB sticks are used?

Thanks again for your help.

Unfortunately, you cannot get 2GB unbuffered non-ECC sticks of DDR1 memory at this time. The largest single stick of unbuffered non-ECC DDR1 memory available is 1GB. 2GB DDR1 sticks are registered (which your system does not support, and thus will not work with such memory) and/or ECC (which Socket 939 systems support, but don't require).

Thanks for the reply I wasn't too sure about Unregistered 2GB sticks of ram, was just to understand what the price/performance difference between the two would be, but since you can't get them it doesn't matter.

However I would like to know how much of a decrease one could possible expect to see if they used 2 x TWINX-2048 3500LL DUAL CHANNEL PAIRS as apose to just one pair 2GB.

I don't know why if a motherboard can handle 4 ram sticks up to 4GB, why it would have a problem when using more than 2 sticks? I understand that Wired said the memory controller will slow down with more than 2 sticks, but then why have 4 slots if the controller cannot handle them efficently?

Is this something that can be fixed so that the motherboard can handle 4 sticks or 4GB ram without having a decrease in performace?

However I would like to know how much of a decrease one could possible expect to see if they used 2 x TWINX-2048 3500LL DUAL CHANNEL PAIRS as apose to just one pair 2GB.
Again, depends on the application.

I don't know why if a motherboard can handle 4 ram sticks up to 4GB, why it would have a problem when using more than 2 sticks? I understand that Wired said the memory controller will slow down with more than 2 sticks, but then why have 4 slots if the controller cannot handle them efficently?
Nothing to do with the motherboard. The memory controller is in the CPU. There are newer CPUs w/ updated memory controllers that aren't as bad w/ 4 sticks, but will still slow down a bit.

Archived