Corsair Community

Bad memory

Recently I started having problems with random CTD's and BSOD's. I tried all the normal stuff: updated all my drivers, updated my BIOS, pulled extraneous PCI cards, scanned for virii, spyware, adware and trojans, checked for overheating, defragged my hard drives, went into my BIOS and freed up IRQ's by disabling unnecessary devices, and tried a System Restore from a date before the problem started, and still the crashing continued.

Finally, I did a fresh install of Windows on a seperate drive, and installed nothing but a few driver updates. At this point I was running a totally clean version of Windows on a now-stripped down machine with no extra PCI cards or drives other than the one with my new Windows install. And still the crashing continued. I tried reverting my BIOS to default, no change.

At this point it suddenly struck me that I hadn't checked my RAM yet. So, I ran Memtest, and sure enough it registered errors. So I pulled two of the modules (out of four), and the computer wouldn't run for five minutes without a BSOD (it had been going longer between crashes). So I swapped in the other two modules, and I've been running on them for over two weeks without a single crash.

So at this point I'm just wondering what I have to do next to get them replaced under warranty.

Well, on the RAM label I've got VS512MB400, the numbers under the barcode are 4119-0551143-0-001198 (001199 on the other module).

My motherboard is an Asus A8N-E, which has a 1000Mhz FSB. My CPU is an AMD Athlon64 3500+ Venice.

In my BIOS, the only items listed under CPU Configuration were:

CPU Type AMD Athlon 64 Processer 3500+

CPU Speed 2200

Cache RAM 512K

Under RAM Configuration:

Timing Mode Auto

Memclock Index Value 400Mhz

CAS Latency 2.5

Min RAS Active Time 8T

RAS to CAS delay 3T

Row Precharge Time 3T

Row Cycle Time 11T

Row Refresh Cyc Time 14T

Read to Write Time 4T

Write Recovery Time 3T

1T/2T Memory Timing 2T

S/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping Enabled

H/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping Enabled

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived