Corsair Community

Dead Ram?

ChillMike

Just received my Twinx 2048-3200C2PT 2GB (2 x1GB) sticks. I went to install them and inserted them in, upon starting the computer I get a few beeps, then the normal startup beep and then the dreaded repeated beep. I tried instaling a single stick and both strips in different slots all with the same result.

I inserted my old Kingston value ram 2x256mb and I'm typing here now so obviously it works. Now I made sure that the sticks I bought were compatible with my motherboard (GIGABYTE 8IEXP REVISION 2.0) and it's listed under the memory sticks that are suggested/and or compatible.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm not a computer expert by any means but I did build my computer from "scratch" so I'm not completely dumb. :o:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

• Corsair Employees
With a 2.0 GHz P4 CPU you would be limited to DDR266 for memory. And our Twinx2048-3200C2PT set of modules will only have the SPD settings for DDR333 and DDR400 in the SPD. I am sorry but I doubt this MB will be able to support these modules.

With a 2.0 GHz P4 CPU you would be limited to DDR266 for memory. And our Twinx2048-3200C2PT set of modules will only have the SPD settings for DDR333 and DDR400 in the SPD. I am sorry but I doubt this MB will be able to support these modules.

Well that's odd, I'm not sure why Corsair would list this as a compatible peice of RAM then. That was part of the whole reason I ordered this RAM because this website told me it could run.

Here's the proof......

So I'm not sure what actions I should take on this now...any advice?

memory.thumb.JPG.72a17c7340c2dc93453dc79573be9669.JPG

• Corsair Employees

That search is based on the chipset and again with the CPU you have you are limited to DDR266 that is most likely the reason why it will not post.

Please call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

That search is based on the chipset and again with the CPU you have you are limited to DDR266 that is most likely the reason why it will not post.

Please call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

Ok I will give a call after I'm off work. Assuming (I know it's not a good thing to do) the RAM does not work what then do I have for options? I don't believe I should have to pay a restocking fee nor do I believe that the vendor I ordered from should have to suffer any sort of monetary setback.

I apologize if I sound at all rude as it is not my intentions however it is a bit irritating to see one thing (the compatible RAM list) and experience another (memory won't post). Even in your signature it does not mention what "CHIPSET" will work with this memory it says motherboard, so I guess that's where I become pretty confused.

At any rate thankyou for the quick replies!!!!!!

• Corsair Employees

Again:

Even in your signature it does not mention what "CHIPSET" will work with this memory it says motherboard, so I guess that's where I become pretty confused.

The memory will work with the board / chipset fine, but it ultimately has to do with the CPU's low memory speed requirement. If you use a CPU w/ a higher memory requirement, then the memory has a SPD setting for it that the motherboard can read, and it'll work fine.

Archived