Corsair Community

MSI K8N NEO and Single Channel Memory

speeder

Hello All

Below you will see my motherboard specs.

It calls for single channel memory. I can use 3GB of DDR333 PC2700 OR 2GB of DDR400 PC3200. I would prefer to go with the 2GB DDR400 PC3200,, but it seems most of the PC3200 memory is "duel channel"

Can i use duel channel memory anyway ?

Does CORSAIR sell single channel memory ?

Thanks, LEE

General MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard specifications

Processor socket AMD Athlon 64, socket-754 up to 1000MHz HyperTransport.

Chipset Nvidia nForce3 250 North Bridge

Memory support 3 x 184-pin DDR support for up to 2GB non-EEC single-channel memory PC2100, PC2700 & PC3200 (DDR266, DDR333 & DDR400) DDR memory

Expansion slots/USB/IDE 5 PCI slots, 1 AGP 4x/8x, 8 USB 2.0 ports, ATA-66/100/133 IDE, 2 FireWire ports

Integrated support On-board nVidia Serial-ATA 4 drive & 4 drive IDE RAID, Gigabit LAN on-board nF3, Realtek ALC850 8-channel audio with S/PDIF

Multiplier options Auto or 4 to 16.

Bus Speed options

PCI/AGP speeds 200 to 300MHz in 1MHz steps & PCI/AGP auto, 66 to 100MHz in 1MHz steps

Voltage core support Vcore default to 1.81v, DDR Auto, 2.5v to 2.8v in 0.05v steps, AGP 1.5v to 1.85v

Form factor ATX 305 x 245mm

Ports back panel 2 PS/2, 1 serial, 1 parallel, 4 USB 2.0, 1 LAN, 6 Audio ports, 1 audio jack, 1 FireWire

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

WIRED

Thank you. but why have i been seeing so many memory manufactures state

"this memory is meant for dual channel memory motherboards"

And honestly, i just want to plug and play. I`m not going to be overclocking and that type of thing. And i do not want to have to go into bios and play around, I WILL SCREW THINGS UP.

I have been considering the purchase of , XMS (2X 1GB) Twinx 2048-3200c2pt.

Do you feel this will meet my "plug and play" concept ?

The description listed below is from CORSAIRS motherboard compatibility web page,

Facts about the TWINX2048-3200C2PT

The TWINX2048-3200C2 is a pair of 1024 MByte DDR SDRAM DIMMs designed for extreme speed are some of the fastest 1 GByte modules available. TWINX matched memory pairs are specifically designed for motherboards using chipsets with dual memory channels. This part delivers outstanding performance at high clock speeds. It has been tested extensively in a variety of motherboards commonly used in gaming rigs. This memory has been verified to operate at 200 MHz (DDR400) at aggressive latencies of 2-3-3-6. This module is also available as a single module. This module is available as a single module or a pair of dual-channel tested modules, in both black and platinum heat spreaders

See what i mean it specifically says "for motherboards using chipsets with dual memory channels"

My motherboard specs says it supports single channel memory. Yet you say i can use memory that your own ad says is meant for dual channel memory ??

i`m sorry, but i do not understand.

LEE

Read what you posted.

This module is available as a single module or a pair of dual-channel tested modules
Dual channel TESTED. They were tested in that mode.

It's like testing a car at 90 MPH. If it does that fine, it'll obviously do 45 MPH fine. Same thing w/ testing memory in dual channel mode. If they pass that, they'll obviously work in single channel mode.

With 3200C2s you WILL need to set the timings to 2-3-3-6 manually. This is on purpose. On all other Corsair memory, they will use the apropriate timings automatically.

Regardless of what memory you get, you will always have to set the voltage manually.

Archived