Corsair Community

Apparently it's the memory....

After having the most trouble I have ever had trying to set up a new system, it appears that the memory was to blame. I did all of the following and had various problems along the way:

I have been trying to install Windows XP Pro on my primary machine for months now, and I always end up with problems at some point, usually during the update process, but really at all times, from the initial re-boot (going right to BSOD), or sometimes during install, Windows states that it cannot install "System" drivers for "disk drive", and then after re-start, the CD-ROMs are not there. Other times, while I am downloading windows updates, some won't complete correctly, or, after all updates are installed, I can't get into >administrative tools>computer management...I get an explorer error. Then my video drivers crap out and I get a 4 bit res screen until I uninstall the vid drivers, and on and on...

I have replaced the following since I started this process:

1. Hard Drives

2. CD Rom drives

3. Motherboard

4. Power supply

5. Windows XP Pro disk

6. Video Card

7. Hard Drive again.

I had virtually built a new system except the CPU and Memory. Finally with help from Microsoft (India...) I got the O/S installed and updated but then anytime I tried to install any program the was of any decent size, i.e antivirus, or Zone Alarm, etc. I would end up getting errors and have a corrupted install. Someone suggested maybe I had crappy Memory, and I said "No way, I have high quality memory (2x CMX512-3200XL-2.2.2.5) that has been tested on my particular MoBo’s (Asus P4C800 Deluxe, and after replacing that one I was using an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe). Well I figured I would go pick up some new memory anyway and try it. If it wasn't the problem, then I would have 2 GB in my machine. Well I couldn't find the exact same modules, so I bought some TWINX 1024-3200C2 and installed that.

From that point forward, I have installed a number of programs (Microsoft Office XP, Norton A/V 2006, Zone Alarm Pro, ALL Microsoft Updates, etc...) with absolutely NO problems.

I would like to have these modules replaced, so that, since I have a practically complete system of good components, I can build another system with all those parts I replaced w/ new during the troubleshooting process.

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS3200XL Cass 2-2-2-5 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived