Corsair Community

i think i found the right one but need to know somthing...

pkme

i used the compatibility thingy (witch is awsome!) to find out that TwinX 2048-3200C2 is compatable with my Asus p4s800mx-se .

but my cpu is a pen4 2.4 @ 533 FSB , so i need to know b4 i buy can i run this corsair ram at 133mhz ?

i know i could use other ram but i want to overclock so i want the headroom.

ty :D:

With a 533 FSB CPU you will need to set the memory frequency at DDR333 or the system will not be stable.

thx 4 speedy reply ram guy :biggrin:

in my bios atm i have settings for 266/333/400 witch is the same as 133/166/200 , it is crapy legend ddr400. right now it's running ratio 1:1 fsb of cpu = 133 & ram 266. isen't this the right setup?

so i would like to run this new corsair ram @ 266 and need to know if the ram supports running in all settings 266/333/400 ??

thx again :D:

Yes but they would need to manually set to the tested settings, the SPD is set for DDR333 and DDR400 only!

sorry buy im not sure i understand u. dose the ram have the 266mhz setting available ?

what is the SPD ?

i will try to exlpain what im try'ing to do and maybe u can recomend a ram...

i have a 800 FSB mobo and a pen4 2.4 533 FSB . i want a cl2 ram that i can set in my bios to run at 266mhz . but i need that ram to go up to 400mhz so i have headroom to raise my cpu FSB.

so i think the twinx 2048-3200C2 will be perfect . if i can find out if it can be set to 266mhz i will buy it !!!!

thx :laughing:

ok i think i understand u now... i can run that ram at 266 mhz but have to set the speeds up as 333mhz ..

yes thats fine thats all i needed to know. i will be running them at about 333mhz once i overclock my cpu fsb so thats perfect..

thx !!! i'm off to the shop to buy a pair !!!!!!

I would suggest you just call us when you install the modules and we will be happy to help you!

:eek: NOOOOOoooo :laughing:

y would i go and buy some ram that i wasent 4 sure would do the job i want it to? :laughing:

i know what im try'ing to do ! i try'ed to exsplain it to u but i don't think u understand what i am ask'ing , thats ok ! i didn't really expect u too.

if u wish to try to understand keep reading i will try to explain , if not then stop reading now & thx 4 the hlp !

i have a 800 fsb mobo. fsb=front side bus. my cpu is pen4 2.4 (quad pumped) so in my bios it runz at 133. 133x4=533 fsb . my ram atm has a SPD for 400,333, and 266 !!! so to run my computer in 1:1 RAM/CPU i set my ram to run at 266. with this ram my headroom is from 266 to 400 !!! i can overclock my cpu fsb up to 800 fsb as long as my ram can handle it , among other things but more to the point....

im upgrading to more ram and higher quality. so i need this new ram to be able to do the same thing as my old did. i need this new ram to be able to run between 266-400mhz. im not conserned with the other timmings because once i overclock my computer the ram will be running about 330mhz-380mhz , not sure yet how high im gunna take the cpu. i will set the timmings up as the SPD of the ram stats and leave it alone then.

if u still don't understand what i am doing don't worry about it ! :laughing: if ur wounder'ing why the hell im ask'ing a pritty dumb question go here to the site that i am go'ing to buy from and it say's there ""These memory kits are available in sizes of both 512 Mbyte (two 256 Mbyte modules) and 1 Gbyte (two 512 Mbyte modules), at speeds of either 333 MHz (also known as PC2700) or 400 MHz (also known as PC3200)!!!!!""

so i got confused and thought maybe for some reason the twinx 2048-3200C2 might not run at 266mhz !!!! after cheking with some people i now know 4 sure.

thx 4 the hlp , i'll be back to let u know what i think of this ram :D:

• Corsair Employees

Yes I understand, I think you miss my point!

The modules you are asking about Twinx 2048-3200C2 have the timings in the SPD for DDR333 and DDR400 only. In other words if you set the memory frequency at DDR266 with the timings left to "BY SPD" chances are the system will not post with a memory not detected post code; because there is no setting in the modules SPD for DDR266. So you would need to manually set the timings and frequency like to these settings and go from there.

CPU Freq: 133 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%/DDR266

Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts (but if you over clock 2.85 Volts)

Resulting Frequency: 133MHz/166DDR

Legacy USB: Disabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Please note as the memory frequency reaches DDR333 and above you may have to relax the timings a bit more to like CAS 2.5-3-3-7!

no i understood u fully once i thought about it 4 a second. but it has absolutly no relevance to what information i am try'ing to extract from u !!!

my first and only question i have try'ed to ask since this started is "will this twinx 2048-3200C2 ram run @ 266mhz". all i wanted was a yes or no anwser !!!

but i have a new question now!!!

u say "Please note as the memory frequency reaches DDR333 and above you may have to relax the timings a bit more to like CAS 2.5-3-3-7!"

from my understanding this ram is rated to run at CL2 @ 400mhz ? so y do u say to lower the CL when running @ 333mhz????

im am confused now. the whole point of buy'ing this VERY expensive ram was to get these fast timmings!

is it not rated to run @ 2-3-3-6 @ 400mhz ???? thats what it say's on Corsair site !!!! dose the SPD state it can run @ 2-3-3-6 @ 400mhz ????

right now i have crapy CHEAP ram that works at 2.5-3-3-7 @ 333mhz so y would i buy exspensive ram that dose the same job ???

plz reply

• Corsair Employees

pkme!

In short yes the modules are rated at CAS 2-3-3-6 at DDR400, but you are trying to run them out of their tested spec. In addition, you will be over clocking your system, so my suggestion was for relaxed (Stable) timings. You are welcome to try anything you like and I know our modules will perform as advertised. But that’s not what you are trying to do! To be honest I would be surprised if the modules will not run at CAS 2-2-2-6 at DDR266 but we do not test them at that spec so I cannot make that promise!

pkme!

In short yes the modules are rated at CAS 2-3-3-6 at DDR400, but you are trying to run them out of their tested spec. In addition, you will be over clocking your system, so my suggestion was for relaxed (Stable) timings. You are welcome to try anything you like and I know our modules will perform as advertised. But that’s not what you are trying to do! To be honest I would be surprised if the modules will not run at CAS 2-2-2-6 at DDR266 but we do not test them at that spec so I cannot make that promise!

yes u are right that i am overclocking , but i am NOT going outside of the normal running speeds at all even with overclocking my cpu fsb it will still be running my ram at speeds between 266mhz-400mhz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's how it works !! i lock my ram @ 266mhz !!! with SPD timmings of 400mhz. then when i overclock my cpu fsb, in turn it will overclock my ram , but not past 400mhz !!!!!

im not looking 4 faster timming speeds . im happy to set my timmings up as 2-3-3-6 running at 266mhz , as long as once i overclock up to 400mhz the timmings stay the same.

thx 4 all your hlp ! i got 2gig on order , it should get here by next week .

i'll be back , let u know how i went and how i set it up.:D:

thx again

iak

• 2 weeks later...

well i have bin play'ing around with my new ram & i have to say im not impressed.

1. thing i noticed that this ram dose not support "Early RAS# Prechage" . i wish u would have told me that b4 !! :p:

2. it is very sensitive when try'ing to find a stable overclock/ram ratio with the timming's compaired to my old legend ram.

3. is the rated timmings. when looking at corsair web site and the site i bought the ram off it say's the timmings are rated @ 2.2.2.6 @ 400mhz. this is not right at all !!! as far as i can tell.

idk could be just me be'ing a novice overclocker but im pritty sure im doing everything the corect way. i will tell how i have my system set up RAM GUY and see if u can give me some advice on how to get my ram to maybe run better , plz :D:

i am use'ing prime95 to make sure my system is stable and everest to find out all info like ram SPD and others.

in everest it say's this new ram is rated to run @ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) SPD ! Module Voltage is SSTL 2.5 @ current speed.

ram is now running @ 315mhz @ 2.2.2.7 timming. i try'ed to set RAS to 6 in bios but since ram dose not support Early RAS# Prechage i guess i cant get it. my cpu is running ratio 1:1 with my ram , 2.4 overclocked @ 2.84. but i can not get past 2.84 witch is surpising.

my motherboard dose not support v-core adjustment or ram volt adjustment so my problem is probly there. im sure i should be able to at least 3.2-3.4 overclock safly.

i have try'ed to losen the timmings as i go beond 2.84 overclock but prime95 tells me everytime it's not stable.

any ideas or advice will hlp alot. thx again , and don't get me wrong the ram is fine , not what i expected but fine. if i had to buy ram again i would not buy this ram tho.

thx :D:

Corsair's site says 2-3-3-6, not 2-2-2-6. The other site is wrong.

yup ur rght , my bad , 2-3-3-6 is what i ment to say.

how ever it is still VERY missleading. fact is that corsair site say's it runz @ 400mhz @ 2-3-3-6 and it dosent.

i just try'ed a set up of 2-3-3-7 and prime95 tells me it's not stable as soon as i go over 158 fsb witch = 315 mhz on ram.:(:

my legend ram reached over 333mhz on ram b4 prime95 has errors. yeh it was 1gig and this new ram is 2gig and the timmings are diffrent compaird to the diffrent ram. i did originally set the same timmings as my old ram but a quick prime95 test came up with errors.:eek: ,,,:confused:

Can you test the modules in another system that will support DDR400 natively?

yes i can , i will try it and come back and let u know how i went. but on my friends comp , his mobo does not support vdimm adjustment either so i guess not really a good test.

however i see that the vdim volt is suppose to be 2.75 and i cant change mine from the stock 2.5 on this crapy mobo. could this be my problem?

now i am getting video errors in battlefield 2 @ my normal clock rate ( no overclock). im getting rips and missing bits in the video. and guild wars is not working properly at all. but when i do a prime95 test for over 12 hours i get no problems. weird. this is running at 2-3-3-7 and normal clock rates and 2.5 volts.

i play to move to a athlon 64 3000+ and a mobo that can change vdimm so i think i will wait 4 that and if i get problems there i will be looking at the ram as be'ing the problem.

thx

• Corsair Employees

Please do let me know! And yes if you cannot adjust the memory voltage that may be whats causing the issue.

but when i do a prime95 test for over 12 hours i get no problems. weird. this is running at 2-3-3-7 and normal clock rates and 2.5 volts.

That would suggest the problem may not be with the memory

Archived