Corsair Community

Should I go ahead and get an RMA?

1 stick of Corsair memory, purchased over a year ago from newegg. one other non-corsair stick.

system started behaving crazy, problem was traced to unstable memory.

I downloaded the MS memory testing tool (the 95k app that turns into a bootable iso) and ran it against both sticks, and each stick individually. Failures occurred with both sticks installed, and only the Corsair stick installed. There were no failures on the other stick.

Should I just go ahead and start the RMA process with Corsair to get this replaced?

edit: that memory testing tool I got from MS, the corsair stick fails *every* test - not just particular ones.

2nd edit: there were no changes made to bios settings or anything else - I ordered the MB/cpu/memory well over a year ago so I didn't have to mess with all of that stuff, and so I've never changed them. There were no other hardware changes that occurred simultaneously with the memory problem, only a video card change that took place a week prior to the memory problem starting.

This is what Blizzard pointed me at:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

second link.

I only just found this forum, so I don't think I've tried the tool you mentioned. Is that a carved-in-stone requirement? I'm not real keen on going through that entire process again since at this point it's just redoing work I've already done and wasting yet another evening.

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-7NF-RZ Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 400 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Thoroughbred 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model AXDA2700BOX

I presume that means the FSB question you asked has an answer of 333MHz.

BIOS settings will have to wait 'til tomorrow - I am at work, that is my home machine. For what it's worth, the BIOS settings were set by newegg, and have functioned perfectly since November of 2004 without changes. I couldn't tell you what they are set to nor even pretend to understand what all the numbers would mean.

I have the memory stick in front of me:

It is a Corsair "Valueselect" stick, VS512MB400C3 LOT# 0446012-0

• Corsair Employees

Please load setup/optimized defaults in your bios and then set the Dim Over Voltage control to +.2 Volts and set these settings manully with just our module installed and then test with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Ok, as it turns out my FSB was already 166MHz.

I reset to the defaults as specified.

There is no "Dim Over Voltage" control on any sub-menu that I could find.

FSB was set to 166MHz. Memory frequency was set to 100%. There is no voltage control. There were no memory timings settable, however once I loaded the memtest86+ cd, there was a string of numbers that matched the 2.5-3-3-7 as specified.

The memtest86+ application does not seem to log errors particularly cleanly. Test 4 logged its errors on test 3's line. Tests 7 and 8 logged their errors under the test 6 line. I observed the entire test and noted that the failure counters increased during tests 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. The total error count was somewhere between 150 and 200.

I also tested my other stick of memory as a comparison. The second stick passed all tests cleanly.

I don't know what else I can conclude; I've done two rounds of memory testing against both of my memory modules, one comes up clean every time, and the Corsair module consistently fails most tests.

• Corsair Employees
Please check your manual for more help with the bios settings or talk to the MB maker, but at the Main bios screen you have to hit CNTRL + F1 to show some of the hidden items in the bios and the memory voltage will be under Frequency and Voltage Control.

To consolidate everything into one post:

I purchased my Gigabyte MB with AMD Athlon XP 2700+ CPU and 512M of Corsair memory from Newegg in November of 2004. The system passed a 24 hour burn-in test, and has functioned without fault since then. I am not an overclocker, and I have never changed any of the BIOS settings to alter performance. The only change I made was the addition of another 512M memory module shortly after I acquired the machine.

The skills involved for tuning contemporary CPUs and memory for maximum performance is out of my area of knowledge, that is why I do not alter BIOS settings.

My system started malfunctioning this past Sunday. Several hours of troubleshooting and technical support time pointed towards a possible memory fault. I obtained the MS Memory Diagnostic tool and tested both memory modules individually and together, under the "Normal" BIOS settings that I have been using since I purchased the MB/CPU/Memory combination. Those results pointed towards a failure of the Corsair memory module.

A coworker mentioned to me that Corsair has a lifetime warranty on their memory, and I verified this was true based on my module type. That is when I located this forum, and this process. Since I began this thread, I have been asked to perform several additional tests. I have complied with that testing regimen as closely as possible, with the sole exception that one particular setting that Corsair is requesting I alter is not available on my BIOS.

Testing Results, Complete History:

BIOS / Memory / Test App: Result

"Normal" / Mixed / MS Mem Diag: FAIL

"Normal" / Corsair / MS Mem Diag: FAIL

"Normal" / AMP / MS Mem Diag: PASS

"Normal" / Mixed / memtest86+: FAIL

"Normal" / Corsair / memtest86+: FAIL

"Normal" / AMP / memtest86+: PASS

Corsair-spec / Mixed / memtest86+: FAIL

Corsair-spec / Corsair / memtest86+: FAIL

Corsair-spec / AMP / memtest86+: PASS

"Fail-Safe" / Mixed / memtest86+: FAIL

"Fail-Safe" / Corsair / memtest86+: FAIL

"Fail-Safe" / AMP / memtest86+: PASS

At 20 minutes per test, I have already spent 4 hours obtaining these results.

I believe it is clearly obvious from these results that tests are failed whenever the Corsair memory is present. No test has failed with only the AMP memory installed. Simple logical elimination points to the Corsair module being the source of the failure.

I do not consider it a reasonable request to require further changes and testing on my part. I have already spent in excess of 4 hours on the memory testing alone. I furthermore do not have the knowledge necessary to make voltage changes on my system; nor do I believe it is reasonable to request any such changes because the system has been functioning without fault for 1.5 years with the voltage settings set as shipped.

The Corsair memory module has failed every test I have performed. All of these tests have been under what I consider to be reasonable conditions because they are all settings that I can easily make. Changes for settings not directly addressable in my BIOS such as voltage settings I do not consider to be reasonable because of the effort required to make them - doing so would place my system in an operating state outside of the specifications that it has been running reliably for 1.5 years. Asking me to test the memory module outside of established operating parameters is not reasonable.

It is clear to me beyond any doubt that the Corsair module has failed. I hereby request an RMA number and shipping address to send the module in for replacement. If Corsair is unwilling to honor its warranty, then I will be forced to replace my memory, which will be with another manufacturer's product.

Archived