Corsair Community

Upgrade of 9month old system

Sponge

I have the system shown below with the addition of an Akasa Heatpipe 913 CPU cooler. Having saved over the last 9 months for some more cash I am looking to upgrade to 2 or 3 GB of ram using a Twinx 2GB matched pair either by merely replacing my current memory or adding to it using the 2 free dual channel slots. However having read the posts on here i'm not sure whether it would be better/faster to replace or bolster and which memory I should go for in either case. Could someone enlighten me as to which would be the better move and what would be the right memory in the better case?

In case you are interested the current modules have XMS4000v3.2 on the memory label. I generally use the machine for gaming but it isn't overclocked and the memory timing are as they were set up by the manufacturer of the PC (so I assume they are set to 3-4-4-8), unfortunately I can't check as my PSU is currently fried and the machine is heading back to the manufacturer tomorrow to get fixed. Given its going back anyway to the manufacturer I thought I'd borrow enough cash to pay for the upgrades I want done and get them fitted by the techs when they service it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponge (UK)

Since Aria only have the Corsair Twinx 2x1GB matched XMS3200 (in normal and PT models) would i be better looking around for the 1-Twinx2048-3500LLPro or would this give a similar performance boost to my system? - Clearly this is running at only 400Mhz not 437MHz....

Also if I can get my hands on a Corsair Twin X XMS4000PT 2GB matched pair would that be okay to use with my current memory? (given I have the Pro version of the TwinX and I could find out the version numbers to see if they match)

Okay thanks. I think investing in the low latency stuff is the way forward. 1-Twinx2048-3500LLPro hereI come... Probably works out the same price if I take into account the cost of a new heat sink that doesn't coven one of the RAM slots...

Archived