Corsair Community

Nautilus500 water block - condition

us002840

Just received my Nautilus500 kit from TigerDirect and I am not a happy camper.

The physical condition of the water block, unlike the dozen or more reviews that I read on the net, is NOT a finely polished block of copper.

The condition of the block is as follows: 1) NO plastic protector on block; 2) tarnish and stains on the copper side; 3) concentric/circular machining grooves on the block; and 4) semi-mirror finish. The surface of the block seems to be smooth, when touched with my finger, but, you can see the machining grooves.

Has anyone else, that has purchased the Nautilus500, received a block in such a conidition? Did I just receive a block that slipped thru Quality Control?

Thanks in advance.

us002840,

There have been complaints in the past of people getting HydroCool external cooling systems from TigerDirect with problems. Some issues were missing parts, or resold as a returned unit and not new. :[pouts: Now with the Nautilus 500, it seems that nothing has changed with that on-line retailer.

As you have mentioned, the protective film on the cold-block was missing. Your unit could have been a return to TigerDirect. :sigh!:

As for the machining marks on the cold-block, the surface finish is Ra0.8. That is, 0.8 micrometers or 32 microinches. The "gooves" are from the circular grinding process to maintain flatness. The "grooves" are visiable in the copper, but totally smoothed down to the Ra0.8 finish. It's more of an appearance than of a performance issue.

When the cold-block is sitting atop of the CPU, you will not see the cold-block base at all.

As with any copper over time, it will tarnish. Lemon juice concentrate and a soft cloth will shine the base up really well. :sunglasse

If nothing else seems to be an issue with the Nautilus 500 otherwise, you could get a near lap finish with a little polish and very fine grit sand paper that would make the cold-block base shine. :biggrin:

Hope this helps!

Stev

us002840,

There have been complaints in the past of people getting HydroCool external cooling systems from TigerDirect with problems. Some issues were missing parts, or resold as a returned unit and not new. :[pouts: Now with the Nautilus 500, it seems that nothing has changed with that on-line retailer.

Stev

Steve:

Thanks for the reply.

Is is necessary to obtain a totally shinny surface in order to obtain max cooling?

Is so, can I use emory cloth or possibly some automotive scratch/polish remover?

Thanks!

Is it necessary to obtain a totally shinny surface in order to obtain max cooling?

If so, can I use emery cloth or possibly some automotive scratch/polish remover?

us002840,

To have a shiny surface or "lapped" base has been a long debate in the WC'ing realm for many years. However, the debate has tapered off a lot since having a totally flat base with the least amount of nicks or scratches proves to be performance acceptable.

Blemishes, however, are not acceptable if they were induced by oil. Oil would leave a nasty staining into the copper. This in turn would reduce the performance of the block. BUT, do NOT get oil blemishes confused with regular copper tarnishing OR from oily finger prints from handling. Those can be removed easy with "lemon juice concentrate." If you have worked with copper in other hobbies, nothing beats lemon juice concentrate or some of the refined copper and brass polishes. Lemon essential oil is not good to use on copper for cold-block performance.

I would avoid using anything like automotive polish or anything else for that matter to remove imperfections in copper IF the product doesn't say "copper safe" or "for copper use".

For taking out little nicks or scratches, wet sanding with 800 - 1200+ grit sand paper for about 20 mins will remove these things. Start off with the 800 grit and work your way up to the 1200 or higher grade. If you have a nice flat table, place and secure the fine grit sand paper down, then soak it in lemon juice concentrate or distilled water. Next take the cold-block and move it around with a little effort. As you move up into a higher grit number, the more force needs to be applied. As you move from a lower to higher grit, look at the cold-block base to verify if the nick or scratch has diminished. If it's gone in the first few rubs on the lower number grit, then stop and move to the highest grit for a handfull of swipes. Rinse in distilled water and dry with a clean soft cloth.

Avoid using any apple cider vinegar to copper since it can leave a film on the copper surface. White-distilled-vinegar or "distilled-vinegar" is not apple based and can be used to clean out the cold-block and the entire cooling loop. A mixture of 50% of this and distilled water is best.

Hope this helps!

Stev

Took Steve's advice and cleaned up the block with lemon juice concentrate - nice and shinny and the nasty black stains disappeared:biggrin: . I still do not like the circular polishing marks, but the block is flat as Steve indicated. Used a steel straight edge and a piece of glass to observe flatness - looks good to me.

Installed the system last nite - took about and hour - should have only taken fifteen mintues or so, but I kept switching the hose routing around since I did not want to kink the hoses.

I made an alterantion to the Nautilus, I added a Zalman flow indicator just after the output side of the cooler - works great and no leaks.

After installing the Nautilus, I used an old AMIGA power supply, do you guys remember the Commodre Amiga, to test and fill the system before turning on the computer. After filling and checking the system for leaks, I moved the power over to the computer and started the system.

I am simply AMAZED by the cooling power of the Nautilus. I have an AMD FX60 overclocked to 3.0 Ghz at 1.34 vcore. Tried numerous air cooling systems, Thermalake, Zalman, 120 MM fans on cpu, ect, and my no-load temp was around 48C and while running memtest, would shoot the temp up to 53-58C.

With the Nautilus, idle tempt of 36C with metest temp no higher than 42C - WOW, what a difference. Oh, no more high speed fan noises - the Nautilus is quiet compared to the old air cooling system. Oh, I stilll have multiple fans in the case, but they are all Vantec Stealth fans - little or no noise..

Sorry for the rambling, but I just LOVE the Nautilus500 - GREAT PRODUCT Corsair.

Archived