Corsair Community

Want to know the difference!

BudzzX

I would like to know what is the technical difference between a Corsair CMSS512MB-266SOD and a Corsair VS512SDS266. Is the second one just a "value" version of the first one?

Thanks for the help! :):

CMSS parts are built with a restricted bill of materials deemed to provide the best compatibility with OEM systems. As such, we often do not have the capability to use low cost material.

Direct from Corsair.

Thanks for the response but, it seems that the CMSS type of RAM is impossible to find or unavailable in Canada. :sigh!:

This is the reason why I wanted to know what was the difference between the CMSS and the VS model. The VS can be found in almost any computer store.

Can someone help me here?

• Corsair Employee

Value Select modules are built with RAM’s that are procured at the wafer level and are packaged and tested to our specifications. As such, they are not available as individual ICs, only as modules. This approach allows us to ship product with very good performance characteristics, low product cost, and a very low return rate.

System select modules may be based on our Value Select parts, but these modules would be built to the system manufacturer’s specification and should be 100% compatible. Where as Value Select are built to a generic specification. If you will add to what you have in your system I would suggest you go with system select. If you replace the modules you have now you may use Value Select.

The VS512SDS266 and CMSS512MB-266SOD modules are functionally the same. CMSS parts are built with a restricted bill of materials deemed to provide the best compatibility with OEM systems. As such, we often do not have the capability to use low cost material.

I expect that the VS part will work correctly in your system. And, of course, Corsair's lifetime warranty is in full effect if it does not. Our confidence of first pass success is highest, however, with CMSS parts.

Archived