Corsair Community

Failing Prime95... RAM Issue?

Three weeks ago I completed a system built for my wife based on a Athlon 64 X2 4400; an Asus A8N-E and 2048MB of Corsair PC3200 2-3-3-6 RAM. Its nice and fast compared to the Athlon XP 3200 that its replacing...

For the last couple of weeks I have been running it through its paces... Under Memtest, running overnight, the RAM performs flawlessly (zero errors). But in Prime95, one and sometimes both CPU cores error out in Prime usually within the first three or four minutes. I am exercising both cores using the instructions found here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16446

For kicks, I decided to relax the memory timings... brought 'em down to 3-3-3-8. Prime95 fails on "Core 0" in less then a minute even with the relaxed timings.

The system is not overclocked - everything is running at stock speeds. I am also using the stock cooler. According to Asus Probe, under load the CPU temp is ~41C.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

My question is this, can RAM pass MEMTEST and still be defective?

I have completed building a new system based on an Athlon 64 X2 4400, an A8N-E and 2048MB of Corsair Twinx2048-3200c2pt 2-3-3-6 RAM. Its nice and fast compared to the Athlon XP 3200 that its replacing...

For the last couple of weeks I have been running it through its paces... Under Memtest, running overnight, the RAM performs flawlessly (zero errors). But in Prime95, one and sometimes both CPU cores error out in Prime usually within the first three or four minutes. I am exercising both cores using the instructions found here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16446

The system is not overclocked - everything is running at stock speeds. I am also using the stock cooler. According to Asus Probe, under load, the CPU temp is ~41C. Just for kicks, I backed off the timings and brought it down to 3-3-3-8. It still pukes on Prime 95.

Here are the system specs:

Asus A8N-E MOBO

Athlon 64 X2 4400

Corsaire Twinx2048-3200c2pt Dual Channel rated at 2-3-3-6

eVGA Nvidia 7600GS - PCIe passive cooled graphics card

WD 250MB SATA-2 HDD

NEC CD/DVD burner

Antec Sonata-II Case

Antec True Blue 450watt PSU (came with case)

The rig is running stock speeds ie. 200mHz bus, cpu multipier set at 11, Hypertransport is 200mHz x 5 = 1000.

The system crashes under Prime95 each and every time, but passes MemTest. I called AMD, and they told that if one of the cores is bad, the CPU will not boot. The rig will boot no problems. But it fails at Prime and very quickly.

Any suggestions on what do next?

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org, and with Prime95 to see if you can isolate if one of the modules is failing or some other problem! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org, and with Prime95 to see if you can isolate if one of the modules is failing or some other problem!

Ramguy:

Thanks for the help. I do indeed have a bad module. Prime95 will run all night on one of the modules. When I try to the other module in the twinpack, Prime craps out seconds later. The funny thing is that the bad module will pass MEMTest but fails rather quickly in Prime.

• Corsair Employees
Well the module is probably not bad, just the way its acting with the MB and CPU you have. But lets get them replaced and if you are not having problems with other applications or games I would not worry about Prime95 as its old and out dated.

Archived