Upgrading to Dual Core

t_deluxe

System:

Asus A7N8X Rev 2.0 Deluxe

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (FSB 333MHz)

1 x 512 MB Corsair CMX512-2700LLPT

Hi,

A couple of questions really:

1. I am looking to buy some new RAM to take advantage of my dual channel capable m/board. It seems the best option is to plump for a matched pair of sticks (TwinX). I am also looking to upgrade my processor in the near future to an Athlon XP 3200+ (FSB 400MHz), so I would be looking for PC3200 RAM. If I were to get 2 matched PC3200 sticks, would I be able to utilise my current memory (above) in my system without compromising dual core operation, and also can PC2700 memory run with PC3200 with the FSB set at 400MHz.

2. Secondly, my current memory timings according to this site (as far as I can tell) and according to the SPD readout in CPU-Z should be 5-2-2-2. However when I set this, my system is unable to boot into XP and memtest reports errors. So, I have set the timings to 5-2-3-2. I am not the most technically aware on this planet by any means!, but I have just got the timings as low as they will go without affecting stability. So, are these timings OK, and is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to get them to the recommended 5-2-2-2.

Um, I think thats it. I hope I have made sense and any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

An Athlon XP (Barton, Thoroughbred or Palomino) isn't Dual Core capable, sorry. But if you want to buy a 3200+ then yes, you will need DDR400. Get one of those TwinX XL's as they are too good to pass up!

Check my specs, trust me;): ...

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response - on my other post aswell!:):

Quite right. I didn't do my homework properly on this! dual core wouldnt be possible without the upgrade in processor. Thanks for pointing that out.

Looks like I will have to find some extra cash for a new CPU quicker than I thought. Thanks again.

Archived