Corsair Community

Memtest+ errors on one of my chips

See specs above.

I recently built my system and started to have a lot of errors after the motherboard failed. I RMA'd the board and the hard drive failed. After that I decided to run memtest to see if anything else was bad (Talk about a stroke of bad luck). Memtest started coming up with errors so I tested each chip individually and in the same slot, just to rule that out. One of the chips was able to run for 31 hours without an error, the other couldn't make it 2 hours.

What do I do now?

EDIT: corrected mistyping from going to fast

• Corsair Employees

With this MB you have to set the CPU Freq manually and disable legacy USB when running any memory test!

Can you tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I may not get the exact name as it is listed in the BIOS as I am not at the computer; however, I do remember the numbers so here you go:

Multiplier: 8x

FSB: 250

Northbridge: 4x -> gives 250*4=1000HTT

Memclock: 200

Legacy USB is off when running the tests.

I read the directions! ;):

Let's get it or them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

RAM GUY,

I thought I would test both sticks one more time, before paying to ship another part out. I found that if I underclock my CPU memtest+ passes at least once, even with both chips installed.

Here are the settings I used:

FSB: 200

Multi: 6X

Memclock Limit: 250

K8 to NB Multi: 5X

I plan to run this again for several hours, but in the meantime does this sound like it may be another bad mobo or maybe even the CPU? I don't want to ship out good parts, just to find that something else is actually the problem. Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
That would suggest the errors are not from the memory, I would test them one at a time at Cas 3-3-3-8 at DDR400 to be sure, if you have a failing modules one will still fail at these settings.

That would suggest the errors are not from the memory, I would test them one at a time at Cas 3-3-3-8 at DDR400 to be sure, if you have a failing modules one will still fail at these settings.

Really? I thought this RAM was supposed to be at 3-4-4-8 DDR500.

• Corsair Employees
Yes, but that does not guarantee that your CPU and MB will over clock to that settings needed. All of our XMS modules are tested on a MB at the rated speed before they leave our factory and what you have posted would suggest some other problem.

Yes, but that does not guarantee that your CPU and MB will over clock to that settings needed. All of our XMS modules are tested on a MB at the rated speed before they leave our factory and what you have posted would suggest some other problem.

I understand. Now do you suggest that I bump my multiplier back up to stock 10x when I do the test? Or should I leave it at 6x to keep the CPUout of the equation? Also, how long should I let it run for? Each pass takes around 30-45min.

OK, I used the settings you suggested (200 FSB, 10x Multi, 3-3-3-8 @ 400 and 2.7V). I let Memtest86+ run for a little over three hours, which was 4 passes, and there were no errors. Before I did this I flashed my BIOS to the latest version, released a couple of days ago. I was then finally able to reinstall Windows. Thanks for the help!

Just a couple more questions: Can I now go ahead and set 3-4-4-8 @ 500? Should I use 2.75V?

Can't I just set the memclock limit to 250, thus making the ratio 5:4? I should be able to OC my CPU to 2.5GHz, but wouldn't the other method allow me to run the memory at its rated speed without doing so?

Archived