Corsair Community

Wich is the best choice for MB ASUS A7N8X-X?

Opolo

Hello guys, I'm going to upgrade my Ram memory but I'm very undecided which to buy.

My system:

MB: ASUS A7N8X-X

AMD Athlon XP 2800+

ATI RADEON 9600 Atlantis (128 MB DDR Memory)

Wich is the corsair ram memory best fitting my system (I'm looking for 1ghz ram memory)?. Can my system run DDR400 memory stick?

Please be patient with me because I'm not very familiar with this kind of stuff and moreover English is not my mothertongue:roll: . I read the latest discussions about my MB but i couldn't get an idea.

Since your motherboard does not support dual-channel memory modes, you'd be safe buying a single 1GB module of DDR333 (DDR400 for overclocking).

Since your processor runs on a default FSB of 166MHz / 333, your memory should be run at PC2700 and not PC3200. This is due to the possibility of instability in many nForce mainboards when the memory is NOT run in sync with the processor. Should you be able to overclock your system to a 400FSB, then DDR400/PC3200 would be optimum.

Something like the VS1GB400C3 would work well, or for a little more money, you can go with XMS modules, but remember, you only have a single-channel memory controller, so even if you buy a TwinX set, you will run it in single-channel.

PLUR

CK

Since your motherboard does not support dual-channel memory modes, you'd be safe buying a single 1GB module of DDR333 (DDR400 for overclocking).

Since your processor runs on a default FSB of 166MHz / 333, your memory should be run at PC2700 and not PC3200. This is due to the possibility of instability in many nForce mainboards when the memory is NOT run in sync with the processor. Should you be able to overclock your system to a 400FSB, then DDR400/PC3200 would be optimum.

Something like the VS1GB400C3 would work well, or for a little more money, you can go with XMS modules, but remember, you only have a single-channel memory controller, so even if you buy a TwinX set, you will run it in single-channel.

PLUR

CK

Ok thank you for your explanation, very clear.

Another question, what does the xms memories differs from the others? I didn't understand very well...

Latest question, you suggested me buying VS1GB400C3. On the site, instead, it's written that "For maximum system stability, Corsair recommends the use of XMS memory ONLY with nForce 2 motherboards. Value Select memory is NOT RECOMMENDED" with my asus MB. So I'd better not to buy VS memories?

should it work properly with 2x 512?

Probably, since your memory would already be running at 166MHz/DDR333 with your CPU anyway. However, some single-channel motherboards (though not yours) will default your memory speed to 133MHz/DDR266 with more than one module installed. And most nForce2 motherboards offer no way at all whatsoever to manually set the command rate; instead, they automatically set 1T or 2T depending on the memory configuration.

should it work properly with 2x 512?

No, I would not suggest mixing memory on any MB.

Sorry, I misread his quote. There is no indication at all whatsoever whether he would be mixing that memory with his two existing 512MB sticks or if he was going to get 2x 512MB sticks instead of a single 1GB stick.

My previous answer is valid only if he would be using 2x 512MB sticks of the same memory (as in TWINX1024-3200) instead of the single 1GB stick.

If he meant that he's attempting to use the new 1GB stick with his two existing 512MB sticks, then it may not work. Most 512MB sticks of DDR1 memory are double-sided - and so are all 1GB sticks. That would result in mixed IC densities, and thus mixed IC chips, which will likely cause problems: At best, you will experience frequent crashes and/or lock-ups; at worst, your PC will not even POST at all.

Archived