Corsair Community

VS512MB667D2 on Gigabyte 8I945P-G @ Dual DDR?

TwinBlackEyes

Hello,

I bought two VS512MB667D2 modules (512MB 667mhz DDR2)

to install on my motherboard (Gigabyte 8I945P-G).

the board "should" support 667 (CPU has 800mgz fsb, mobo supports up to 667 mhz ddr2).

At first, i installed the modules at slots a1+b1.

• the computer has loaded up.
  • recognized 1024mb of ram.
  • i got into the BIOS, and didn't change a thing
  • suddely the monitor went black (pc didn'e make "restart noises").

Then i turned off the pc, and turned it back on - monitor was still showing nothing (power led blinking, just like when the pc is shutdown) and all the fans and what-not started running but still, nothing showed up on the screen.

Then, i tried running with modules in a2+b2 config. - same results - nothing.

Lastly, i put them both in the same channel (a1+a2) and the computer loaded up fine, recognized 1024mb and was stable.

i tried to check for compatability as your faq suggests but i didn;t find a reference to VS512MB667D2 at all, so i figured i might be lucky..

s.o.s...

• Corsair Employees
First thing, the PSU you have may not be big enough, but to be sure I would test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Hello,

thank you for the reply.

• My Thermaltake PSU is stable and goes up to 500W
  • I tested both modules, one at a time, with memtest+ and both have passed 3+ full passes with no errors
  • I have increased the DIMM voltage by +0.2 as you've suggested - still, couldn't work the modules as dual channel. (also tried +0.3)
  • At all times, memory works just fine (both modules) in single channel mode
  • In my BIOS there is an option to manuall set CAS latency and timings of the memory, should i change them from AUTO?
  • on Gigabyte's website they mention my MB "Supports 1.8V DDR II DIMM". Does that help understand what's going on?

Please help me find the problem - the stupid store won't replace the memory (I originally order a twin set)

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest testing with another PSU or in another system to be sure, but what you have posted would suggest some other problem. I would check with the Video Card maker about the PSU with this combo of hardware, but I think you need at least 18 Amps on the 12 Volt rail just for the Video card.

My GPU needs a 340W PSU, as mentioned - i have 430W.

disconnecting all other consumers (SATAII drive, Floppy & optical drive)

produced no results.

I'm guessing the mother board is faulty - taking PC in for a check-up tomorrow. will update.

Finally the problem was resolved!

For those to lazy to read the thread or even this post, read the last sentence of this post.

The technician deemed the problem to be either:

• A small metal object he has extracted from behind the motherboard, it was a small part of the PC's case
  • Wiring, for the top panel USB and Audio ports, that were going under the MB (they were moved to the sides of the PC case to avoid pressure under the MB)
  • He says using the extra 4 pins, on a 24 pin PSU with a some Gigabyte MB models can cause problems.. i reconnected the 4 pins after i got the PC back and it works perfectly so...

I hope this will help some else sometime to resolve a similar problem

-------

summary: (mostly for future searches on this board)

-------

2 Value Selected modules (VS512MB667D2 = 512MB 667MHZ), on a Gigabye 8I945P-G Motherboard didnt work at dual channel and then stopped working at all. issue resolved after removing all wiring from beneath the motherboard and cleaning the underlying surface

Archived