Corsair Community

Bad stick of TWINX2048-3200C2PT

I had this same problem with a previous set of this memory. At that time, I had 4 modules in my system and was able to narrow it down to which stick was bad. I was also able to return the pair to Newegg for a complete refund. Now, I am having the same problems as before with the remaining two sticks of RAM.

This problem just resurfaced today, a couple of months after the problem occured with the previous stick of ram. I am receiving RAM write errors as well as file corruption on my hard drive. The problem is not affected when I change the memory timings in my bios to below specification.

I should also state that I have tested both sticks of RAM (individually) in the same slot of the mother. Using Memtest86+ I have found that one stick has many more errors than the other.

One of the sticks gives approx. 2 errors per MB for about 512 MB of the stick (sorry, I didn't catch all of the addresses, but the addresses do seem to be the same each time it passes over that region of memory). I get these errors on just about every pass.

The other stick of RAM only yields errors during test 6 and 7. Those are the 'Moving Inversion, 32bit Pattern' and 'Random Number' tests respectively. There are much fewer errors here than on the other stick of RAM.

Giving an error count for each stick of RAM, the first yields 100,000+ errors for passes 1 - 7. The second stick of RAM gives no errors between passes 1-5 and ~100 errors for passes 6 and 7.

What it comes down to is that my system runs just fine on the one with very few errors. Besides if it is a memory controller issue, would it not do the same thing with both of the TWINX modules?

Also, I am unable to try different slots. I am using an A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard from ASUS and therefore must use a particular slot for only 1 memory module. The processor is an AMD 3800+ Athlon 64 processor.

These problems are persistent too. They do not change depending on when I scan the memory. Besides, I received the same exact symptoms when I had a faulty memory module with another motherboard a few months ago. I bought all 4 modules at the same time and had to return 2 modules due to the problem (had to return the set even though only one was bad). Now, I am seeing the same exact problem on a different motherboard after months of stability with the remaining 2 modules. Also, my computer has been stable over the last several hours with the 'worse' module removed.

I receive the same errors on all of these settings. For the last few months the system has ran excelently with 2.5, 3, 3, 6 and the voltage set to auto in the bios. After having the problems I have tried changing the voltage to 2.75 and 2.8. I have also tried setting the timings to be automatically detected and even tried forcing it to 3, 3, 3, 8. Each of these results in the same errors in Windows as well as Memtest86+.

Right now I am running fine at 2.5, 3, 3, 6 and the auto voltage setting with one of the modules. The other module produces errors if I try running it alone at any setting.

Also, I am not home right now, so I can't tell you the exact settings for the CPU. I am not overclocking. All the settings should be at the default setting for the CPU. The only voltage settings I have changed are for the DDR slots, and that was only as a troubleshooting measure after I started having these problems last week.

Archived