Unusual Problem with CMX512 - 3200C2

Fury

Hi there,

My system is as follows:

Asus A7N8E-E Deluxe (BIOS 1013)

AMD AthlonXP 3200+

3 x CMX512 - 3200C2

nVidia Geforce 6600GT

I bought 3 CMX512-3200C2 modules about a year ago. All seemed to work fine except when I played World of Warcraft. The system appears to be completely stable and passes all memory testing including the extended tests which I have left to run for several hours. It is only in WoW that I encounter any problems with the error#132 displaying that the memory couldn't be written to or read.

I have tried everything on the Blizzard technical website and also many of the things suggested on these forums but the game continues to crash when I run my system at 200MHz FSB. The only way I was able to stop the crashing was to underclock my Processor to 166MHz.

I recently ran SiSoftware Sandra on the system and although it didn't show any errors during the extensive Burn in tests I did notice something unusual when I requested Mainboard information.

I had set the memory timings to 3-3-3-8 in the bios but Sandra was showing that they were set to 2.5-3-3-8. The other 2 modules were set to run at 3-3-3-8 but one of them was set at 2.5-3-3-8 and it seemed that this module was forcing the others to run at its own settings. I tried it with the FSB at 166MHz and again the timings were set to run at 7-3-3-3 which was also the value of 2 of the modules but the problem module was set to run at 2-3-3-7. It was forcing the system to run at 7-3-3-2.5.

I isolated and removed the problem module and ran WoW for several hours without any problems, not a single crash. I tested the system again using the module in different slots, it appears that regardless of its position it always forces the timings to its own values. When only the 2 stable modules are used, again regardless of which slot they're in, the memory timings are the same as the bios.

I have also tried to use the settings 2.5-3-3-6 as recommended by Corsair at a voltage of 2.7 but encountered the same problems even though all the modules were running at the same speed. I have yet to try the system without the problem module but the evidence seems to suggest that the module in question is to blame.

I am currently residing in the UK and would like to know if this memory module can be classed as faulty since it doesn't seem to have the correct timings.

The 2 normal modules are v4.2 and v4.3 while the problem module is v1.5.

I look forward to reading the replies of the community soon.

Fury.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but you should not mix memory with this platform, I would suggest just using the two modules that match in slots 2-3 and set voltage to 2.7 Volts at Cas 2.-5-3-3-7. But if you want to use three modules they all should be exactly matched both in part# and revision.

Hi RamGuy,

Thnx for the reply but i'm not sure where that leaves me. I have 2 modules that have the same timing and 1 that doesn't hence its sitting in its packaging going to waste.

I was unaware that such issues existed with memory always being under the impression that buying the same model of RAM from the same manufacturer would guarnatee compatability. I'm currently contemplating taking the memory back to the vendor and seeing if I can get it exchanged.

However this brings me back to my original question, does this module have the correct timings or can I argue that it is indeed faulty due to having incorrect timings?

I look forward to your reply.

Fury.

• Corsair Employees
Please call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

Archived