Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200C2 on MSI K8N Diamond Plus - Possible bad DIMM

mOOky

Howdy. I am the proud (sorta) owner of a matched set of 1GB 400MHz DDR memory modules from Corsair. I bought them when I spec'd out a system based on recommendations from friends and your high industry reviews.

So far, your memory pretty much seems to kick arse. Only problem is, I can only get one module to work. The other DIMM refuses to play nicely. Occasionally it will pretend to cooperate, only to later spite me and reboot or just fail to POST altogetherwith.

And I can not, under any circumsances, get it to POST in dual-channel. I have run MemTest on both modules for several hours (individually) and gotten no errors. However, since I can't get it to POST at all with both modules I can't run a dual-channel (slots 1&2 or 3&4) MemTest, and I can only occasionally get it to POST with what I suspect is the "bad" module running on it's own. I have not been successful getting it to POST with both modules installed in single-channel mode either (slots 1&3 or 2&4).

QUESTION: Should I request an RMA for these or is there something I should adjust?

I could post my stats, but I think pictures speak better...

My BIOS overclocking menu showing the FSB clock and memory voltage:

http://baznet.org:1180/images/BIOS_30A_cellmenu.JPG

My BIOS memory configuration. I set the 2-3-3-6 and the 200MHz 7.8us (per the Corsair specifications) but left all others at the "optimized defaults":

http://baznet.org:1180/images/BIOS_30A_memory.JPG

CPU-Z memory page:

http://baznet.org:1180/images/singledimm_200FSB_2-3-3-6_cpuz_3.0ABIOS.png

Everest Ultimate Edition memory benchmark:

http://baznet.org:1180/images/singledimm_200FSB_2-3-3-6_cachemem_3.0ABIOS.png

Everest Ultimate Edition OC panel:

http://baznet.org:1180/images/singledimm_200FSB_2-3-3-6_oc_3.0ABIOS.PNG

GENERAL QUESTION:

The rest of the timings I'm not sure if they are good for this particular memory...they are the "performance defaults" for my motherboard according to MSI. Is there anything I ought to adjust for better performance without causing undue stress on the components? I'm going for "rock solid base" here. Overclocking will be a hobbiest exploration down the line, I just want a baseline great machine to start with. Running with one DIMM in single-channel seems to be fine so far under normal usage over several days.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+.

Um...right? Did you read my post above? I already tested both memory modules independently... you want me to test each module in each slot independently? So that's 8 tests? For how long? Why does a consumer need to test the memory, I thought that was the job of the vendor? If it is certified to work.... grr.

Maybe I'm just ranting, but I've posted my specs, I'm not stressing it out by overclocking it, just using it at rated settings, and like I said, one module works perfectly. The other is suspect. I just completed 17+ hours of Prime95 testing with the known good module, so I'm guessing I don't need to test that one any more with MemTest.

I guess I'll throw the other stick in by itself and see if I can do the same...

nah, i just replied to the wrong thread :)

It is a bit of an odd problem though. could always test different mem or your mem in an entirely different system, for kicks. May result in something, may not.

It isn't the direct job of a manufacturer to t/s every possiblity though, only enough to finitely state if it is or is not their product having / causing a problem.

Roger that. Mind you I'm not trying to shirk a little troubleshooting, but I've been messing with this rig for over a week getting the timimgs, BIOS, etc. working smooth. I think a 19 hour burn-in with Prime95 is enough to convince me it's "stable"...I just need to get the dual-channel working now...and I'm not certain whether it is just timings that need to be relaxed to get the DC working or if it is actually a bad module... RAM GUY, whaddaya think?

Ok, I retested with the suspected bad DIMM. I think it is definitely not liking me. Will not POST, at all. The diagnostic lights get stuck on the "initializing RAM" step. I had my BIOS settings at the Corsair specs (2-3-3-6) and at the mobo specs (3-3-3-8) and neither work. The first module works like a champ.

Help!

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Roger that, I was waiting for the green light before submitting for it. :) I'll be sad without my new toy for however long it takes to get the memory, but hopefully be happy when two working modules come back.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my replacement TWINX2048-3200C2 and it works perfectly! You guys are awesome! THANK YOU!

I have the system running stable with no motherboard overclocking, 200MHz memory clock, Dual-Channel configuration at 2GB. The memory timings set to 2-3-3-6 and it runs a benchmark which reports FASTER overall times than the 3500XL memory that I borrowed from a friend! Go figure! (of course I had left the 2-3-3-6 settings intact so maybe that's why).

Anyways, you can consider this case closed, and add one more satisfied customer to the list.

Cheers!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived