Corsair Community

Dual channel mode

amirmah

Hi there,

I have an Acer travelmate 4150 laptop, with 256MBs of DDR2 RAM, and I've recently added another 256 DDR2 RAM chip to the original one, and they're running in single channel mode, and I would like to know how to make them run in dual channel mode, I opened the laptop to take a look at it, it has only 2 slots for RAM chips both are beige colored.

Any one has a clue on how to push'em to run in dual channel mode?

No, they're from two different manufacturers, but they have the same specs, and I've read on many forums that the two chips dont have to be from the same manufacturer if they have the same capacity and the same clock speed (which is the case here) , and also I'm very sure that my mother board supports dual channel mode ... but now as we speak another question pops up in my head, if they work in dual channel mode will they show up as 1024MBs on the system properties window? (right click on my comuter>> properties) or it isn't necessary ?

No, they're from two different manufacturers, but they have the same specs, and I've read on many forums that the two chips dont have to be from the same manufacturer if they have the same capacity and the same clock speed (which is the case here) , and also I'm very sure that my mother board supports dual channel mode ...

This information is absolutely incorrect for dual channel operation. Ideally, you need modules that are exactly matched for stable operation. There are some cases where different modules will mix and run stable in dual channel but they are VERY rare and certainly not recommended.

Mike.

Archived