Corsair Community

PC2-5300 - Do i need to install a new FSB controller to use it?

bizzy2

Hi, Im hoping one of you can help me here...

I decided to build a PC for myself based around a Gigabyte - GA 8I945GMH-RH motherboard. Checking on dabs confirmed that the board would accept PC-5300 memory so i went ahead and splashed out on 2 x 512 value select sticks.

However, checking the motherboard documentation there's a note that says in order to use PC-5300 i need to 'install a 800/1066 fsb controller' (or words to that effect).

Does this mean that I need to physically install a new 945g or my ram wont run at optimum speed or does it mean that the ram wont work at all?!

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Im hoping one of you can help me here...

I decided to build a PC for myself based around a Gigabyte - GA 8I945GMH-RH motherboard. Checking on dabs confirmed that the board would accept PC-5300 memory so i went ahead and splashed out on 2 x 512 value select sticks.

However, checking the motherboard documentation there's a note that says in order to use PC-5300 i need to 'install a 800/1066 fsb controller' (or words to that effect).

Does this mean that I need to physically install a new 945g or my ram wont run at optimum speed or does it mean that the ram wont work at all?!

Is your CPU an 800 FSB model or a 1066 FSB model? Or is it a 533 FSB model?

If your CPU is a 533 FSB model, your DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) DDR2 memory will run only up to DDR2-533 (PC2-4200) speed. As the RAM GUY said, you will need either an 800 FSB CPU or a 1066 FSB CPU in order to run DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) memory at its rated clockspeed.

You would need to be running a 800/1066 FSB CPU is what they are trying to say!

Affirmative!

Archived