Corsair Community

Possible bad module

Hello:

I've purchased a Twinx2048-3200c2 kit in March and I've just started to put my new build together. I installed WinXP Pro on a 200 GB Seagate EIDE hard drive. I have 4 - Western Digital WD Caviar RE2 WD4000YR 400GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive that I wanted to RAID 0+1. After I installed windows and changed the BIOS to allow SATA RAID I would get a blue screen of death error when Windows was booting with the message "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal". I hadn't gotten service pack 1 nor 2 yet but just on a whim I decided to run memtest. I ran the test twice with over 700 errors before the test halted. Everything ran fine up until test #6

Mobo: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Ram: Corsair Twinx2048-3200c2

CPU: AMD X2 4400+

HD1: Seagate 200 GB EIDE

HD2: Western Digital WD Caviar RE2 SATA

HD3: Western Digital WD Caviar RE2 SATA

HD4: Western Digital WD Caviar RE2 SATA

HD5: Western Digital WD Caviar RE2 SATA

PSU: Seasonic S-12 600 Watt

Optical: Benq 1640

Graphic card: Nvidia 7900 GT

Sound: Creative X-Fi Platinum

Please advise. Thanks for your time

Dan

I tested with memtest-86 v3.2

Everything in the BIOS hasn't been touched expect for enabling/disabling SATA raid. In other words the DDR VCore is set to Auto as well as the timings. Does the VCore need to be bumped to 2.75?

Thanks

Dan

I used memtest86+ v1.65

changed:

CAS Latency (tCL): 2

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6

Memory voltage: 2.75 volts

I left both modules in to see if anything changed. It didn't. I still got > 700 errors on test #6. I removed one of the modules and ran again. I stopped the test when it had over 400 errors on test #6. I removed that module and put the other in. That module had 669 errors on test #6 before it halted. If I let memtest run it will eventually stop with the message "Unexpected Interrupt - Halting".

Is it possible (or likely) to have 2 bad modules?

Should I be putting the modules in different slots?

On the ASUS mobo there are blue and black slots. I have used the blue slots per the manual. I did make one error. I left the one module in the A1 slot which should have been the B1 slot when using only one module. I moved one of the modules to the B1 slot and when I ran memtest I got 2 errors on test #4 and I stopped the test when I got over 300 errors on test #6 so I don't think the slots make too much of a difference.

Thanks

Dan

Everything else in the BIOS was left as default or auto. I disabled legacy USB. Guess what? First stick passed, no errors. I turned off computer and put in the second stick. First pass - NO ERRORS!! I will probably run memtest all day and see if any problems pop up.

I have never heard of USB legacy causing problems before. Do you know why this is?

Thanks to Wired and RAMGUY - I REALLY appreciate all your help. Corsair tech support rocks!!

Thanks

Dan

• Corsair Employees
It’s just a bug in the bios, according to the forum at http://www.x86-secret.com and its a bug in memtest according to ASUS. It has been common with some ASUS MB's as well as some other MB's, but I think Most MB makers have this option disabled by default is why it seems to only happens with some ASUS MB's.

Thanks again. Memtest passed 28 hours worth of testing. I forgot how many passes but I think it was well over 40. So I know that the RAM is good

Is this just a "cosmetic" fix so that memtest runs properly or are were there actually errors occuring? I guess my real question is if I were to enable legacy USB again would that cause a problem with my system other than runing memtest?

• Corsair Employees
No, with this option enabled the bios will shadow some of the information to make a USB device bootable to active memory and when memtest test's that block it will interpret it as an error.

Archived